W163 - sweaty summer!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

XXBernie

Car
ML270/CLK320
Firstly, newbie and first post in the MBClub website. Thanks for letting me in! :thumb:

Got an old CLK 320 (W209) and an even older ML270 (W163) - Discovered Mercs 3 years ago and I can't see me ever buying anything else. That CLK is such a nice cabin to be in.

I'm a big tweaker and rarely put my vehicles into a garage (and NEVER into a main stealer!). I will give most things a go, and normally successful - latest success was getting rid of that damned SRS alert on the CLK. 1x iCarsoft MBII and a good bit of Googling and those tiny prongs in the plug were made to connect!

ANYWAY, got a proper head scratcher on the ML. My cabin is hot which is not ideal in the searing Newcastle heat! Story so far;

1. Blend valve was stuck in hot - took it apart and had a broken cog. New part obtained on Fleabay, all good but actuator just drives straight to hot, which is why the cog snapped in the first place.

2. So I went to the cabin temperature cabin sensor (WHY, OH WHY did they put it where they did!?!). The fan in the sensor was whirring away so could only assume that the moulded PCB was at fault. Bought another of E-Bay and problem still not solved, although I don't know if the replacement is/isn't at fault either. Any ideas how to check? :confused:

3. Last resort, I bought an air control module ECU - swapped it out and still no damned difference.

I've checked the variable resistor on the temperature control knob and it's operating between 0 and 3000 ohms. I have also checked the variable resistor in the blend valve actuator (orange cog) and that operates in a similar range. Even with all the cogs out and operating the blend valve resistor by hand, the motor just runs and runs.

All connection points/continuity checked where possible.

I'm stuck.....stuck, stuck, stuck :dk: . Please, PLEASE, are there any boffins who can point me in the next direction?!?

Hi,
There should be or at least there was on my 202 a sensor on the cabin heat exchanger and another on the AC Evap. these sensors go back to the heater control unit.
Does your diagnostics not pick up any codes? Can you not read the data (the values of the sensor inputs).

Cheers Andy - just realised, I didn't put my name!! I promise to sign off at the end!

Thanks for the heads-up. Thing is, I've not got the AC running so in theory this would be looped out. Correct? BTW, clicking AC on makes no difference as it still directs the air through the heat exchanger.

I've got no fault codes coming up and never have but I'll interrogate further line by line just to make sure although the diagnostics are much more basic on this car compared to the CLK so not sure how in depth it goes.

I've not got an ambient air temperature indicator in the cabin, but is there one for the vent system? I'm wondering if it's in full open/closed circuit making the car think it Billy Baltic out there?

Would love a wiring diagram but the DVDs I got from Fleabay were rubbish for this car!! Anybody??

Cheers,

Elton

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom