W163 Trailor Electrics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ldare

Car
2007 R320 CDI Sport / 2003 270ML CDI Inspiration
Hi
The ML has the bolt holes ready for a trailor but does it have a connection ready for the trailor lights connector? Also Im doing my BE test next month and have been told there must be an audio indication when the trailor lights are being used and they say this would probably be canbus controlled.

Any help advice would be most welcome.

Thanks

You need to do this the right way, or you could damage the electronic system in your car .The best way is to talk to a reputable company that fit towbars. No good doing it on the cheap, as the side shops wont have a clue on how to go about it.

Is there not just a socket to plug in a OEM Trailer Mercedes Module? Ive looked on eBay and cant see one but am suprised. Ta

Im doing my BE test next month and have been told there must be an audio indication when the trailor lights are being used and they say this would probably be canbus controlled.

'Audio indication' (i.e. a buzzer) is normally part of aftermarket towing electrics - I've never seen this on any OE towing setup (where bulb failure on the trailer would be detected through the loom).

For those who find this the thread who are also looking to fit a tow bar there is a connetor inside the vents on Near Side. Remove the bumper and there are two vents, remove and you'll see wires. Poke about and you'll find a connector. It is just like a radio ISO connector, infact thats what I bought from Maplins and used. I found many conflicting reports on the internet saying this colour does this and that, maybe some are posted buy colour blind numpties or maybe Mercedes werent consistant in their colouring.

The connecter is not only dedicated to the trailer but you'll see an empty fuse hole in the fuse box which is labeled trailer.

I just used a multimeter to work out which wire did what, simply put on the indicators one by one and test, put the tail lights on and find two positive feeds, left and right, put on the fog lights and find that, then get someone to press the brakes. All the wires on the block with 8 wires will soon all be accounted for, you dont need the reverse on a standard 12N trailer socket.

You can buy the buzzer kits for £1.99 on ebay.

Hope this helps someone else in the future.

Cheers
Louis

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom