W163 Trip retrofit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MawfTech

Car
W163 ML270 CDi, Audi A6 2.7T Bi-Turbo Quatro Sport, TBA
Hi,

I'm looking to retrofit the trip computer into my facelift '53 W163. I've found a few modules in various scappies and have all the fitting instructions. What I can't fathom is exactly which versions will retrofit into my 2003 ML270CDi. Anyone got the difinitive answer on this? I've got all the other equipment I need e.g. sat-nav, uhi bluetooth but after owning several Audi's in the past, the one feature I really miss is the miles left in the tank.

Can anyone help?

Matt

I think you may find the "miles left" is a coding function rather than a new module.
I have had this enabled on my car (see sig below)

Give these guys a try www.comand.co.uk

Yes, I know but I actually need the module in the car in the first place to recode for miles remaining. There are about 8 different modules and I need to know which will fit the facelift W163 so I can narrow down. Unfortunately, everyone who's selling these only has the code of the module and not the year of the vehicle it came off.

So a 2003 ML doesn't have a trip computer at all??

Sadly, that's correct. The good news is that the loom is all there with all sensors. You just need the module retrofit.

So a 2003 ML doesn't have a trip computer at all??

Yes ML's the trip computer is a option. The module is plug and play, but cutting the hole to view the display is difficult, and it never looks factory finish.

Plug and harness location query

I'm also trying to fit a trip computer to my ML270.

Can anyone tell me where i should expect the plug and wiring to be in the car? I've looked and felt around inside the roof cavity as much as i can, but haven't found anything.

I've been told the plug is a 7 or 8 pin horizontal type.

Any advice on the subject would be greatly appreciated!

Well mine was just attached to the dummy unit that was in its place so when I removed the overhead unit, the multi-plug was clipped into the original unit.

I'm guessing that you're thinking the new unit is just the display. It's more than that, its quite a large assebly with the the rocker switch too which originally on mine had an 'off' and a hook and car symbol. When the trip unit is fiited, that switch changes to a 'mode' and 'reset'. At the back of the old unit is a flat 8-way connector (about 2mm high by 12mm wide approx).

Fitting was easy but take your time cutting out the display hole. You want it as neat as you can get it and I polished the edge with 1000 grip wet and dry after cutting to round it off. I put black felt tape either end of the display too to cover up the light leakage you get from the rear of the new unit which makes the hole a lot neater too.

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom