W163 tyre size?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dee James

Car
2003 ML 270
i have just bought a 2003 W163 ML270 and when i got it it had 225x60x17`s on it but as they had all been well worn on the inside edge i got some good part worn tires in the correct 275x55x17 while i do some research

I`ve noticed quite a few seem to use the smaller tire, is that just because they are cheaper/easier to get?

can anyone recommend a good road tire that suits the ML?

cheers in advance :thumb:

Dee James said:
i have just bought a 2003 W163 ML270 and when i got it it had 225x60x17`s on it but as they had all been well worn on the inside edge i got some good part worn tires in the correct 275x55x17 while i do some research I`ve noticed quite a few seem to use the smaller tire, is that just because they are cheaper/easier to get? can anyone recommend a good road tire that suits the ML? cheers in advance :thumb:

The ML's w163's do come with 16" wheels that are 225 wide but they don't handle very well. Depending on your wheel (post a photo) they do vary but I personally like running 275 55 17 on the 17s and they handle better and give a better road presence. Toyo proxes are a good tyre to go for. I have 4 on mine and they handle well, grip when towing and accelerating and are very quiet considering they are 285 wide

The ML's w163's do come with 16" wheels that are 225 wide but they don't handle very well. Depending on your wheel (post a photo) they do vary but I personally like running 275 55 17 on the 17s and they handle better and give a better road presence. Toyo proxes are a good tyre to go for. I have 4 on mine and they handle well, grip when towing and accelerating and are very quiet considering they are 285 wide

mine has 17`s on it - it does look better on the 275`s i agree

i've got avon tyres 275/55R17s on my ml500. They were on it when i bought it, I wouldnt have chosen them. They're alright, but I wouldnt buy them again or particularly recommend them.

For winter tyres. I've got pirelli scoprion winter 255/60R17s - these are great tyres. The car feels better with them on, even in summer.

If i end up replacing the avons at some point, I'll probably look at pirellis or michelins.

frog1520 said:
i've got avon tyres 275/55R17s on my ml500. They were on it when i bought it, I wouldnt have chosen them. They're alright, but I wouldnt buy them again or particularly recommend them. For winter tyres. I've got pirelli scoprion winter 255/60R17s - these are great tyres. The car feels better with them on, even in summer. If i end up replacing the avons at some point, I'll probably look at pirellis or michelins.

I have the scorpions on the back but in 275x55x17 and MIchelins on the front in the same size, interesting what you say about the scorpions - i do think they suit the car

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom