W163 Warning Lighs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ldare

Car
2007 R320 CDI Sport / 2003 270ML CDI Inspiration
Hi
This is a naughty question I know. I have a 2003 and the BAS light is currenty out. The steering column and steering angle sensor have been changed twice this year already and also the abs pump which has the curcuitry. The BAS light came on today when reversing but all is ok now as it is off again now. In theory it must be possible to unsolder the led?? I have no plans to ever sell the car the purpose would be simply to pass MOTs.

Has anyone ever tried this or something similar.

Thanks
Louis

If all the lights don't illuminate during the startup sequence ( position 1 ) it will fail.

Just seen one on eBay looks like they are still removable bulbs on the car. At the moment all is ok, it spent 3 weeks recently at the Indy Merc garage and I know they wont take it in again if the light comes on again. Mercedes made it easier to change the angle sensor 2005 onwards, from a 12 hour job to a 5 min job.

Im really not dishonest but dont feel it right the car is scrapped. You can get delay off relys from eBay for £6 if mot tester needs light to come on.

Hi, my 2006 ML 270 CDI ( sold in ireland up to 2006 ) recently developed a traction / ABS problem, the following lights came on BAS/ESP - ETS - ABS - EPC. It was intermittant at the beginning. Then eventually they stayed on all the time, even at startup without driving the jeep. I connected Star Diagnostics and got a C1120 error - L6/3 ( left rear speed sensor) line monitoring. Star could not clear the error, it just kept coming back on. I disconnected the wiring to the left rear sensor at connector block, leaving the sensor still attached and ran a resistance test on the wheel sensor, it showed a constant resistance of 770. I did the same on the rear right side and got a similar reading - so both sensors were ok.
I then removed the front left wheel and arch liner and left headlamp to expose the ABS pump / module / wiring. The connector block is removed by wriggling the top tapered handle and as you wriggle the connector block and also raise the handle the block pushed outwards and releases. I had to remove the bolt holding the washer bottle and prise it up a bit to allow the handle fully clear and disengage the connector block from the module. It came apart and I fed the wire back into the headlamp gap for easier examination. The horn wires have to be pulled from their push on connectors, they are part of the loom. Some posts on the net about the wires rubbing and breaking so this is what set me on this path.
I peeled back the tape hoping to find the broken wire but nothing obvious, alot of wires in this loom but all appeared ok. Back to Star diagnostics and I pulled up the wiring diagram of the connector block. Terminal 36 & 37 are marked as rear left abs sensor. incidentally 33 & 34 are rear right speed sensor. I linked the connector ( car side ) on the rear wheel ( to make the wire continuous ) and then ran a resistance test on terminal 36 & 37 and got no resistance reading. I did the same on terminal 33 & 34 ( with the speed sensor connected ) and got the 770 resistance again. Be careful with these pins sticking in multimeter probes, I used fine wire and taped it to the probes ( on the connector block and at the speed sensor connector block). My problem was a break in the wiring from the ABS module connector block to the rear left wheel speed sensor.
I spliced 2 wires into the feeds of terminal 36 & 37 ( pared back the existing car wire a few inches back from block and ran a new pair ( inside the chassis - there are holes and i fed strimmer wire and pulled the new pair through ) and pared back existing wire and did the same at the rear on the car side of the speed sensor connector block.
I started up the jeep. The EPC light was off but the other 3 stayed on. I connected up Star Diagnostics again, cleared the codes and all lights went out and stayed out. I ran another test with Star and all came back clear - no errors.
I have used the car for the last few days with no issues. Cruise Control, ABS and Traction control are all back working.
I would hate to think what this would have cost to repair in a Garage, they probably would have started replacing parts etc.
My investment in Star ( chinese ) is reaping rewards. A great tool for these type of problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom