W163 Wipers & Clock.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dentosan

Car
ML270
Hello to all,
Recently bought a 2003 ML270, and still trying to work out a few of the controls, as the user manual is a bit vague.
Firstly on the front wipers. Right column stalk has 3 positions, one up for slow wipe, two up for fast wipe, and one down for a 4 second intermittent wipe. Now I may be being a little greedy here, but isn't that a bit basic? I would have thought at least a variable timing on the intermittent, or maybe even rain sensitive? On the outside of the where the rear view mirror attaches to the windscreen there does look to be a sensor of some sort, is it a rain sensor? Can anyone shed light on any controls that I am not aware of to vary the intermittent wipe, or turn on rain sensitive?
Secondly, I have a digital clock in the dash below the rev counter, but nothing which passengers can see. At the front end of the overhead lighting panel is an oval shaped piece of black plastic, with the interior sensor for the alarm on the left hand side of it. Now I see from the owners manual that this is the display for the trip computer if fitted. I know that I do not have the trip computer option, but in a standard model should this instead be a digital clock display, as it would seem to be the logical place to put one? If anyone could confirm for me that this should be a clock display I will start dismantling to get at it and see what's wrong.
Any advice gratefully received.

One up is intermittent wipe or rain sensor wipe. If it doesn't work on intermittent I expect the rain sensor is faulty.

The overhead display does have a clock in it if it has the option for it. Most don't have it. I think you can retrofit it though.

right column stalk has 3 positions, one up for slow wipe, two up for fast wipe, and one down for a 4 second intermittent wipe. Now I may be being a little greedy here, but isn't that a bit basic?

Correct ! No variable adjustment or Sensor .

On the outside of the where the rear view mirror attaches to the windscreen there does look to be a sensor of some sort, is it a rain sensor

it's just a light sensor for the auto lights setting

I know that I do not have the trip computer option, but in a standard model should this instead be a digital clock display

No , as u said, its for a trip computer option. What you could do is verify whether a factory trip computer has a clock option display, then you might be able to retrofit. Somehow i doubt it.

No variable timing wiper settings on most Mercedes, to the best of my knowledge. (Poor design).

No, because most models now have wiper sensors :bannana:

Don't forget that you have bought an 11 year old car that was first produced 17 years ago. The controls are bound to be a bit more basic than on newer cars.

On the contrary, I like the fact that the outside temperature is displayed on the w163 at all times - something that is missing from certain newer MB, like my W204.

If I need to know the time, I just look at my left wrist……… I'm sure that your passengers could also do this.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom