W164 Alternator Fuse

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ardveen1

Car
E00 (S124), SLK200 (R171), ML320 (W164), SL320 (R129)
Hi, hoping someone can help me. The battery in my 2009 W164 ( ML320CDI) went flat and I charged it through the jumper terminals in the engine. Now when I start the car the red battery warning light comes on the dash after 1 minute. I ran star diagnostics and the error is ...9042 Component F56 ( starter, alternator fuse ( in wiring harness ) is faulty. I opened the red jumper terminals in the engine compartment ( hoping it was there ) and all 3 fuses have continuity so they are ok. Does anyone know the location of this fuse and how to get to it. Any help would be great, thanks

Hi, I should have mentioned that Star indicated a current problem with Front SAM and when I dropped into it I got a Check Terminal 61 error,

Attachments

• Terminal 61.jpg
    Terminal 61.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Terminal 61.jpg
    Terminal 61.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Fault Codes.jpg
    Fault Codes.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Star Diag.jpg
    Star Diag.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 9
I read somewhere that it might be under the carpet in the passenger footwell so I removed the carpet and foam backing but alas not there. I also read it could be attached to the bell housing in the engine bay on a lead between Starter Motor & Alternator, have not investigated there yet but it seems Mercedes place it there on some models, not sure about the ML W164 model, Any ideas ?

Hi

I have a feeling its in the line you.mentioned above. Could you do a cable check and see if the fuse has blown l. Or donyou have access to wis to get a wiring diagram to check

Regards

Hi, thanks for getting back and that's my next step to try and trace this cable in the car. I did look up WIS and could not see anything that would direct me, I find the electrical data a bit confusing. There is no mention of it in the fuses section of WIS, just the fuse block locations and their function. I could not find anything on this fuse wired in line with a harness. Hopefully a trace in the car will reveal it. Mercedes parts sent me this diagram and their system show it as Item 315 and they had the fuse in stock whick I picked up, its a 40 amp orange blade fuse, the same as the fuses in the block beside the battery under the driver seat. I can find very little information on this online so it must be a fairly unusual problem.

Attachments

• Merc Diagram.jpg
    Merc Diagram.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 32

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom