W164 Comand does not recognise DVD map when cold

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

janafunk

Hi guys

Im a newbie here.....bought an 06 ML420 CDI a month ago....enjoying the torque!!! :)

Any way.....ive had an issue with the Comand DVD map not being recognised three times now.

It seems that on cold days when I start the car and have the comand in map display…there is no map display…and a message ‘Please insert DVD map’ is displayed . Once the car warms up….about 5 mins the map is displayed correctly.

At first I thought it was the DVD….so I took it out and checked to see if its dirty and gave it a good clean anyway….but that did not work.

I have now also tried another DVD map…..V9.0 and the same thing happens…..so it cant be the DVD maps….any one seen this on comand units???

Thanks in advance!

Hi guys

Im a newbie here.....bought an 06 ML420 CDI a month ago....enjoying the torque!!! :)

Any way.....ive had an issue with the Comand DVD map not being recognised three times now.

It seems that on cold days when I start the car and have the comand in map display…there is no map display…and a message ‘Please insert DVD map’ is displayed . Once the car warms up….about 5 mins the map is displayed correctly.

At first I thought it was the DVD….so I took it out and checked to see if its dirty and gave it a good clean anyway….but that did not work.

I have now also tried another DVD map…..V9.0 and the same thing happens…..so it cant be the DVD maps….any one seen this on comand units???

Thanks in advance!

The car is under warranty so take it back to the dealer and ask them to fix it! sounds like a heat related fault to me.

I had this on the W210 E55. Dealer said it was an intermittent fault with the laser reader of the disc. I was out of warranty.

Not sure it help you, sorry

Regards

Richard

I had a similar problem when I was using an ahem 'backup' copy of the nav DVD - bought an up to date genuine one from ComandOnline and no probs since :)

I had this problem yesterday, and was about to post when I found this thread.

The command fired up but the map just showed "... waiting..." and the animated clock symbol. I've had problems with the unit not reading the DVD, but the error message is quite explicit - "cannot read DVD"

After an hour's journey, and then 30 mins switched off it came to life and worked normally.

The disc is genuine (thanks Alfie), but the warranty is long expired. Nothing else has changed, apart from 2 new rear tyres but I don't think they are related ;)

Brgds,
Nick

I have had the navigation freeze on the W211 but it has always rest after the car has been restarted.

Richard

any one seen this on comand units???

Yes as reported here, in my case it was condensation on the surface of the DVD, ejected, dried, replaced and worked fine. Interestingly was fine first thing in the morning but happened on each occasion when cold damp start to morning followed by leaving car parked in bright sun for a few hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom