W164 engine size discrepancies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dwar

Car
ml320
For the first time ever I've decided to buy the same car again. Well almost. On the strength of my ml 320 W163 still going strong with 206k, I've decided to get a W164. But on viewing a 2006 320 CDi Sport, the log book gave an engine displacement of 2185cc. I decided to walk away there and then as the vendor could give no satisfactory explanation other than he's an accountant and bought it for his wife from new, so knows nothing about cars. Could someone shed some light on this for me, as I'm getting nowt from t'internet? Thanks all.

For the first time ever I've decided to buy the same car again. Well almost. On the strength of my ml 320 W163 still going strong with 206k, I've decided to get a W164. But on viewing a 2006 320 CDi Sport, the log book gave an engine displacement of 2185cc. I decided to walk away there and then as the vendor could give no satisfactory explanation other than he's an accountant and bought it for his wife from new, so knows nothing about cars. Could someone shed some light on this for me, as I'm getting nowt from t'internet? Thanks all.

Mercedes did change their model number rules so that the number is no longer tied to cubic capacity, e.g. my 350CDI is actually just a 3 litre in a higher state of tune. A 280CDI has the same base engine. But a 2 litre engine in a 320CDI from 2006 is not plausible.

The DVLA are known to have quite a few errors on their records. There's plenty of evidence on this forum and others. Is the other documentation (order sheet, sale invoice, etc...) all in order?

Sounds like an administrative error on the dealers part at the point of first registration, as the 3.0 diesel was the smallest engine available for the W164 in the UK.

Mercedes did change their model number rules so that the number is no longer tied to cubic capacity, e.g. my 350CDI is actually just a 3 litre in a higher state of tune. A 280CDI has the same base engine. But a 2 litre engine in a 320CDI from 2006 is not plausible.

The DVLA are known to have quite a few errors on their records. There's plenty of evidence on this forum and others. Is the other documentation (order sheet, sale invoice, etc...) all in order?

It all looked ok. The original order sheet, receipt and every other invoice they had all seemed to tally. No obvious discrepancies that I could see. Only a registration change. Apart from the engine size difference on the v5, the car and documentation seems OK. They said tax costs £290 a year, cheaper than a 3 litre.

That has to be an error. The W164 smallest engine was a 3.0lt turbo diesel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_M-Class#Second_generation_.28W164:_2005.E2.80.932011.29

If you are still interested in the car, try and get the Vin# (Its on the lower n/s of the windscreen so not a secret) and the datacard can be produced showing exactly which engine was fitted when it left the factory along with all the optional extras.

I'm interested again now after reading the replies I've received. I'm in the process of getting the Vin number. I've asked for the engine number too. Let you all know as soon as I've got it. Hopefully it is just a government error.

I wouldn't read too much into it because the DVLA are famous for these types of ****-ups; my Audi Q7 4.2 TDI was officially not a "TDI" but an "FSI" and my RR Sport TDV8 HST was a "TDV6 HS" (HS doesn't even exist!).

So I've got the Vin number;
WDC1641222A082235
And the engine number;
How do I go about getting the datacard?

CHASSIS WDC1641222A082235
ENGINENO 64294040101708
POWER_PS 224
POWER_KW 165
BRAND 095 = Mercedes-Benz
TRANSMISSIONTYPE A = automatic transmission
MODELBRIEF ML 320 CDI 4M
PAINT 723 = Cubanite silver metallic
UPHOLSTERY 901 = Alcantara/ARTICO leather, black
ENGINETYPE 1 = Diesel
NUMBEROFDOORS 5
CYLINDERCAPACITY 2987
MAXTOTALWEIGHT 2830
AXIS1 1400
AXIS2 1600
FUEL D
BRANCH 0 = Passenger car
FINALDATE 04/01/2006
OPTION A05
OPTION A21
OPTION A22
OPTION A28
OPTION J58
OPTION M30
OPTION R39 = 19 5-twin-spoke light-alloy wheel
OPTION 182 = seat belts front and back with adjustable hights
OPTION 213 = Speed-sensitive power steering
OPTION 220 = PARKTRONIC system (PTS)
OPTION 241 = Front seat,electr.adjust.left w/memory switch
OPTION 244 = Sport seats, front
OPTION 249 = Automatically dimming ext. and int. mirrors
OPTION 275 = Memory package el.adjust.driver's seat
OPTION 280 = Leather steering wheel
OPTION 299 = PRE-SAFE ® -System
OPTION 345 = Windscreen wiper with rain sensor
OPTION 386 = Convenience telephony
OPTION 427 = 7-speed automatic transmission
OPTION 438 = Neck-Pro head restraints, 1st seat row
OPTION 441 = Steering column adjustable
OPTION 461 = Instrument with mileage reading
OPTION 477 = Tyre pressure loss warning system
OPTION 481 = Sump shield
OPTION 500 = Electrically folding exterior mirrors
OPTION 524 = Paint protection - preservation freight packaging
OPTION 527 = COMAND APS multimedia system
OPTION 551 = Anti-theft warning system
OPTION 580 = Automatic air conditioning
OPTION 600 = Headlight cleaning system
OPTION 616 = Bi-xenon headlamps w. headlamp cornering fct.
OPTION 619 = Cornering light function
OPTION 690 = Emergency wheel (mini spare)
OPTION 691 = Blue tint.gl.allr./single-l.safety gl.re.win.
OPTION 720 = Roof rails/pre-installation for roof rack
OPTION 723 = EASY-PACK load compartment cover
OPTION 739 = aluminium trim parts
OPTION 806 = Technical modifications
OPTION 819 = CD changer, MP3-capable, for 6 CDs
OPTION 873 = Heated front seats
OPTION 875 = Heated windscreen washer system
OPTION 876 = Interior lighting package
OPTION 882 = Interior motion sensor
OPTION 885 = Enhanced anti-theft protection
OPTION 890 = EASY-PACK-tailgate
OPTION 952 = Sports package
OPTION 983 = CoC document EU4 without Reg. Cert. Part II
OPTION 987 = Battery circuit breaker
OPTION 989 = Identification label under windshield
OPTION 011 = Headlight assistant
OPTION 069 = Exterior mirror heated and electr. adjustable
OPTION 038 = Tip gearshift
OPTION 291 = Airbag for driver and front passenger
OPTION 010 = Power windows

^ So its a 2987cc engine. DVLA error that should be corrected with a letter and perhaps a copy of the datacard. (Copy and paste post above)

Thanks Toby1, thanks all. I'm going to physically match the engine number if I can find it. Does anyone know where it's located? On my way to the sellers soon and it's tipping it down here. Would rather be under the car for as little time as possible.

The DVLA does make mistakes. Had our Polo 5dr hatch down as a 4 door saloon. All it took was a letter and a new V5C soon appeared.

Yes, they can have typos as well. My daughter's Golf had a letter "I" in the VIN on the V5C, which sould have been a figure "1". Its 4th MOT test found this out.

As above, a letter and emailed photo of the windscreen VIN to DVLA produced a new V5C.

I don`t know where those facts come from as my C class 320CDI 2987cc motor is only £285 for the year.....CO2 = 208G/KM

We'll, they said they pay £290 a year. And a 'proper' ML 320 CDi producing 254g/km costs £490 a year. The log book still gives a figure of 254 even though the engine size is wrong.

Early W164 (and all W163) pre-date the increases that were made to vehicle excise duty.

We'll, they said they pay £290 a year. And a 'proper' ML 320 CDi producing 254g/km costs £490 a year. The log book still gives a figure of 254 even though the engine size is wrong.

This is dependant on the date of registration. If the vehicle was registered before 23rd March 2006 it qualifies for the lower rate of duty.
Check the rates in the chart below. Check Band K.

http://www.which.co.uk/cars/driving/car-running-costs/car-tax/car-tax-bands-from-april-2015/

Last edited:
Car engine number checked out. Yes, it was registered 8th of March 2006. I thought the lower tax was pre 2003 models. You learn something new every day. The V5 engine cc is still wrong though. Must be a DVLA error. Anyhoo, thanks all for your help.

Last edited:
So I should say that I bought the car after all that. Was very happy with it, until yesterday when it locked me out. New fob batteries didn't work. Tried a couple of re-sync procedures, still didn't work. Then 'bonnet open' alarm constantly on and rear power tailgate decided unlock when put into drive. If I didn't have bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all. Think I'd rather another W163 to be honest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom