W164 front passenger side squeaky noise - Help!

Discussion in 'Wheels, Tyres, Brakes & Suspension' started by AC12, Jun 4, 2019.

1. AC12

AC12 New Member

Car:
    Middlesex
    Hi everyone, I'm new to the site and would like help with my ML320 W164 2007 224BHP.

I've had my front passenger side shock changed October 2018 and noticed a squeaky noise while turning right.

This noise has gotten worse in the last few months and now can hear a squeak when stopping the car. Been to several garages and the mechanics have said anti roll bar links as well as could be the lower ball joint.

I've had both replaced but the noise is still there! The links were worn but ball joint didn't have anything wrong with it so it was a waste of money.

Please let me know if anyone had this problem or found a solution.

2. AndrewOl

AndrewOl Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    GL420 X164
    There is a small rectangular chassis plate just to the rear of the rear wishbone mount. Sometimes this gets used as a jacking point with a trolley. It is not designed for this load and bends upwards touching the floor above it. Squeak city after that. If it isn’t too bad you might be able to bend them back down using a pry bar. Both of them on my GL were done and ended up replacing them.

a111r likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    AC12

AC12 New Member

Car:
    Middlesex

Thanks Andrew, I will check my car and see if the chassis plate is bent like you suggested.

4. kid-jensen

kid-jensen Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    ML 320 W164
    Andrew, I also have the bent chassis-plate squeak.

It's been driving me mad fore more than a year, I've changed just about everything on the N/S suspension with no improvement at all. Then, after your advice I looked underneath and saw the plate mashed by some ham-fisted jacking...

It looks like it might unbolt, so I can give it a good "straightening" with a big hammer. Do you know if it can be removed, or will something important fall off instead?

5. AndrewOl

Car:
    GL420 X164
    I don’t know what was involved in getting the plate off. One of the bolt heads had snapped off from someone trying this before me and I tried to remove the snapped stud but gave up rather than snap the ezi-out and making things worse. Ended up putting it into pentangle who did a grand job. Plates were not too expensive although fair amount of labour. If you can loosen the bolts I would put a new plate on rather than try to straighten as they are quite a complex pressing.

6. kid-jensen

Car:
    ML 320 W164
    Andrew, Thanks, I think I'll give it a serious lever with a hefty screwdriver to see if that will fix the squeak.

I'm paranoid that I'll undo one of the bolts and something will fall inside, now I can add rusted-in bolts to my worries!

7. OP
    OP
    AC12

AC12 New Member

Car:
    Middlesex
    I still haven't been able to find the plate, can anyone please upload a pic for me?

8. kid-jensen

Car:
    ML 320 W164
    Picture attached, from the LHS, looking slightly forward.. front wishbone rear mounting rubber in the background.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  9. OP
    OP
    AC12

AC12 New Member

Car:
    Middlesex
    Thanks for the pic, I will take a look at the one on my vehicle. If its not that plate then I'm guessing I'll have to replace the lower control arm?

I asked about buying the 3 bushes but Mercedes dealer only sells 2 of them and rear bush is attached to the control arm so you can't just buy the bush for some reason.

10. kid-jensen

Car:
    ML 320 W164
    I have a perfectly good Lower control arm (with new rear bush) and a similar upper control arm. Both were changed whilst looking to fix my creak, obviously, the problem wasn't with them....

If you find that the plate is not the cause of the creaking, (Ball joints and bushes are far more likely), let me know, and I'm sure we can do a deal.

11. OP
    OP
    AC12

AC12 New Member

Car:
    Middlesex
    I've checked mine today, doesn't look damaged so not sure where the squeak is coming from? I also noticed the rear bush on the control arm looking very dry.. I tried attaching pics of both but keep getting errors saying files are too big.

12. AndrewOl

Car:
    GL420 X164
    If you think it may be the bushes then greasing them will stop the noise temporarily allowing to confirm the guilty party. Do one at a time.

13. kid-jensen

Car:
    ML 320 W164
    If you use the irfanview (free) Graphics App, you can re-sample images to any resolution you want, ideal for posting here.

14. OP
    OP
    AC12

AC12 New Member

Car:
    Middlesex
    Hi guys, yesterday I had my lower control arm and both outer tie rods changed. The noise I had before has stopped but now I can hear a different one when turning right on full lock. It's a few knocking sounds as wheels turn.

The mechanic couldn't work out what is causing the new noise?! I will get tracking done and see if it helps.

15. kid-jensen

Car:
    ML 320 W164
    The W164 only has a Lower and Upper control arm ("wishbones" in old-world speak), so I'm confused by your description of "both outer tie rods", any chance of a picture?

Does the noise you now get when turned to Full-Lock increase and decrease with speed?

16. OP
    OP
    AC12

AC12 New Member

Car:
    Middlesex
    Sorry, I meant the outer tie rods that are used for tracking.

The noise is few knocking sounds when turning slowly, same volume that sounds like metal on metal? It's the kind of sound you'd probably get when a nut hasn't been tightened on suspension.

17. kid-jensen

Car:
    ML 320 W164
    Does the noise increase in frequency if you speed-up?

Mechanics tend to be a bit cavalier with their lump hammers so often bend the Brake splash guard to the point where it hits against the disk...

18. OP
    OP
    AC12

AC12 New Member

Car:
    Middlesex
    No mate, the noise is same volume.

Today I was going around a roundabout at speed and the knocking noise was a lot more due to the weight shifting to the left side.

19. kid-jensen

Car:
    ML 320 W164
    What about the frequency?
    does it go up with speed?

20. OP
    OP
    AC12

AC12 New Member

Car:
    Middlesex
    Yes it does, only things left are upper control arm, inner tie rod and top strut mount. Everything else has been changed on that side of suspension.