W164 front passenger side squeaky noise - Help!

• Thread starter Deleted member 145352
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If the frequency of the noise goes up with speed, it can only be something that rotates, rather than a suspension component.

Start looking at CVJs for damaged boots (most likely the end within the upright), or wheel bearings loose, allowing the disk to move enough to touch something nearby...

Don't let that stop you buying my Upper control arm though!

Mercedes ML W164 Upper Control Arm (wishbone GL X164 R-Class W251) | eBay

So, yesterday I jacked up the car and inspected the left suspension. Could not find anything loose or broken. I asked my cousin to drive slowly while I was listening from outside. The clunking noise sounded like it came from bottom of the car around the middle. Sway bar bushes look old but rubber didn't look worn out.

Noises from the middle of the car, and clunks in particular, could well be the UJ at the rear end of the transmission.
Check there's a good, solid transmission rear mount (not separated or broken up), and check the UJ for backlash and general looseness.

If you can lay your hands on four axle stands, you can get underneath whilst the car is running in drive and should be able to hear the clonking without having to run alongside...

Sorry, I meant to say lower middle area in front of the engine.

Check the outer Constant Velocity Joints (within the upright) they get a hard time and lots of angles to transmit the drive through.
Clonking at extremes of lock is a classic symptom of CVJ wear...

I took the car to a mechanic, he said CVJ is fine. He also couldn't work out where the noise is coming from?! I'm thinking of not bothering getting it fixed until it gets worse enough to see where it was coming from.

Sounds like a good plan.
You have two positive possibilities to look forward to: it gets so bad that something falls off (then you know what to fix) or it gets better, so you don't have to get the wallet out.

Win-win...

I tried moving steering side to side quickly while driving slowly hoping to hear the noise, no luck. Only happens on full lock.

Will just stick to my win win plan, I will update once I figure out what the noise is.

Thanks guys!

Full lock noises are usually cv related. But if this has been discounted maybe something simpler? Is the wheel rubbing on the liner? Grasping at straws which I’m sure you are by now!

The noise sounds a few clunks, metal on metal. I'm thinking replacing the sway bar bushes and see if it helps?

The Sway Bar (Anti-roll Bar this side of the Atlantic) bushes are rubber, so unless they have collapsed, in which case it would be obvious, they wouldn't cause a metallic knocking when on full-lock.

They are more likely to cause a rattle over bumps when going straight-ahead.

Your original plan is probably the best way forward: keep an ear open for it getting worse, and eventually it will be obvious.

There'll be plenty of other things going wrong soon to keep you busy...

Plenty of other things going wrong? Like what? :(

I bought the vehicle last October and since then I've spent around £3k on repairs and servicing.. New suspension, all fluids replaced, new control arm, oil cooler seal, new tyres, private number plate... Its finally driving very smoothly apart from the noise and also shaking if I floor it. Normally I have to push down on the accelerator lightly so the power comes without shaking the car and going into limp mode.

Limp mode and vibration on acceleration doesn’t sound like suspension. More likely engine or drivetrain. Did you get the codes read on star?

I've had code checked by mechanic who used a Snapon reader, there was no codes

May be worth putting it on Star as this can read more modules/ codes. Are you getting an engine light when in limp mode or is it the transmission going into limp.

No warning lights at all..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom