W164 metal key?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

patriotaki

Car
c200 coupe
How does the metal key work in the ml class w164?

is it possible to lock and unlock the car with the metal key?

also is it possible to leave the engine running and leave the key in the ignition and lock the car from outside with the metal key?

How does the metal key work in the ml class w164?

is it possible to lock and unlock the car with the metal key?

also is it possible to leave the engine running and leave the key in the ignition and lock the car from outside with the metal key?
Probably. It’s an emergency key though - used when the battery is flat. You don’t just turn the metal blade, you turn the blade and yank the handle.

Probably. It’s an emergency key though - used when the battery is flat. You don’t just turn the metal blade, you turn the blade and yank the handle.
and how do you lock it with engine running so you can unlock the car with the metallic key later?

and how do you lock it with engine running so you can unlock the car with the metallic key later?
You would need to remove the blade from the key before starting the engine. Then start the engine, get out, and close the door. Turn the blade in the lock.

Practice locking and unlocking lots of times with the engine OFF though as there’s a knack to it. You don’t want to find yourself locked out with the engine running.

Why do you want to do this, is it so that you can let the engine and therefore heating warm up before driving away in cold weather?

I wouldn’t do it. The key blade and lock is not designed for regular use - it’s designed for occasional use only. It’s not great for the engine either, as it will accelerate wear.

You would need to remove the blade from the key before starting the engine. Then start the engine, get out, and close the door. Turn the blade in the lock.

Practice locking and unlocking lots of times with the engine OFF though as there’s a knack to it. You don’t want to find yourself locked out with the engine running.

Why do you want to do this, is it so that you can let the engine and therefore heating warm up before driving away in cold weather?

I wouldn’t do it. The key blade and lock is not designed for regular use - it’s designed for occasional use only. It’s not great for the engine either, as it will accelerate wear.
I want to leave the AC on for my dog inside in the hot days. Like im doing with my other cars in BMW is so easy.. you just lock and unlock with metal key

I want to leave the AC on for my dog inside in the hot days. Like im doing with my other cars in BMW is so easy.. you just lock and unlock with metal key
Beware you may trigger the alarm when unlocking, which may scare the dog. Best test it well in advance.

I had to use mine when my rear Sam died and drained my battery.

Enter metal key into drivers side lock, turn the key, leave it in that position, and pull the driver's door handle three times, it'll open. Turn the key back to starting position and take it out.

As Bobby states it's for use in emergencies/when you have a flat battery. I have never tried to use it for what you're suggesting. It doesn't seem like it's been designed for regular use, just taking the blade out of the key, the mechanism and little sliding button seems like it won't stand the test of time/regular use.

However to achieve what you're asking:

- Turn on engine
- Take metal key out
- Open rear door
- Press the lock doors button while rear door is open, all pins other than that door should go down
- Manually press down rear door lock pin
- Close rear door
- Pray there's no weird deadlock system that disables you from using the metal key while engine running or the locks and car see power / use metal key to undo driver's door as specified above.

With a fried rear Sam, that's how I had to deal with locking the car, as the driver's door pin can't be pushed down with the door open.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom