W164 ML impossible spec to find?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oli

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A5 3.0 TDI Quattro
I’m considering getting an W164, I like the look of them and really I’d like the facelift model so 2010 plus so you get Bluetooth, better music playing capability etc.

Ideally I’d like to find a 350 CDI in black or grey which isn’t a huge hardship but here’s where it gets trickier, I’d like to get one with the full leather not the fake leather/alacantara interior and the really tricky one- the off road pack.
I’m assuming I’m either in for a very long wait or in need of looking at other cars?.
I know getting both options would be far easier if I went for a GL but I don’t need 7 seats and they are truly humongous.

I had this one in friday for new front brakes. Proper leather and low range box, but only a lowly 300cdi. 20” AMG rims on it though, proper porky look to it…

5-C94882-C-7316-49-CF-A491-2-E2050-CFDFAA.jpg

I’m considering getting an W164, I like the look of them and really I’d like the facelift model so 2010 plus so you get Bluetooth, better music playing capability etc.

Ideally I’d like to find a 350 CDI in black or grey which isn’t a huge hardship but here’s where it gets trickier, I’d like to get one with the full leather not the fake leather/alacantara interior and the really tricky one- the off road pack.
I’m assuming I’m either in for a very long wait or in need of looking at other cars?.
I know getting both options would be far easier if I went for a GL but I don’t need 7 seats and they are truly humongous.
From memory, for full leather you need to avoid anything sport or AMG badged, so an SE maybe. Exception being the 63 models which have leather too.

They do look great in grey - I saw one tonight and it’s a handsome car.

I had this one in friday for new front brakes. Proper leather and low range box, but only a lowly 300cdi. 20” AMG rims on it though, proper porky look to it…

I like that. Never seen the wheels in black and diamond cut before. They look surprisingly different to standard silver an diamond cut.

I like that. Never seen the wheels in black and diamond cut before. They look surprisingly different to standard silver an diamond cut.
Funny you should say that! I’ve been looking after this one for a couple of years. The wheels are the same as on my pre-facelift AMG body. I liked them so much I’ve copied the idea. My car is 040 non metallic black, and it now looks absolutely killer!

That looks great, I’d not be that bothered about a 300 CDI, isn’t it only a different map but pretty much the same engine as the 350?.
Did they carry on with the V8 diesel in the facelift or did that get dropped?, I bet they’re seriously rapid for their size but my thoughts are that they’d be a lot worse in diesel and probably cost more to look after and parts would be more, the V6 is a tried and tested engine too and is more than powerful enough.
This model looks much nicer than the one that replaced it.

Funny you should say that! I’ve been looking after this one for a couple of years. The wheels are the same as on my pre-facelift AMG body. I liked them so much I’ve copied the idea. My car is 040 non metallic black, and it now looks absolutely killer!
You’re as bad as DrF, you’ve been here long enough to know rules: you can’t post stuff like that without photos.

To the OP, patience pays off when searching. I have spent many nights burning the midnight oil and months waiting for the right car. Its all worth it in the end as you get a good mental landscape of prices and options and thus value.

So when the right car comes along you will know it.

To the OP, patience pays off when searching. I have spent many nights burning the midnight oil and months waiting for the right car. Its all worth it in the end as you get a good mental landscape of prices and options and thus value.

So when the right car comes along you will know it.
That’s true, I’m not in a rush so can afford to wait for the right one.
It doesn’t help that it’s also a toss up between a W164 and a near on 30 year old 80 Series Land Cruiser!.

It doesn’t help that it’s also a toss up between a W164 and a near on 30 year old 80 Series Land Cruiser!.
That's 2 quite different directions to go in. Good 80s are pretty expensive now.

That's 2 quite different directions to go in. Good 80s are pretty expensive now.
I know they’re costly but they’re amazing 4x4s, got to spend £10-15k to get a nice one now though.
I’ve got a short wheelbase 90 at the moment which is more than capable but I really do like the 80!.

I went to the Amazon after my LWB Colorado. The increase in comfort and refinement is significant, it made for some very refined travel on less than hospitable terrain.

I went to the Amazon after my LWB Colorado. The increase in comfort and refinement is significant, it made for some very refined travel on less than hospitable terrain.

Out of interest did you have an 80 or a 100?.
I quite like the SWB Prado I’ve got(mines an import) and it’s great fun off road and good too with it’s short overhangs but it isn’t the nicest thing to use all the time!.

I’ve had a few more modern 4x4s- a couple of L322 Range Rovers and a Cayenne Turbo but the 80 is still the one that really appeals to me, they’re a pretty solid investment by the look of prices too.
I have no doubt at all that a W164/X164would be a nicer drive on the road and an 80 will be like an old tractor with leather seats in comparison but that’s kind of their charm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom