W164 ML Tailgate query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Uberwagon

Car
1991 500E
Hi all,

I have a problem with the tailgate on my ML. The powered part no longer works and its due to something I did :wallbash:

One of the lifting arm bolts broke so I drilled out the old bolt, fitted new ones and then put the arm back on. Now it no longer opens electrically.

I had it on a code reader and it is giving a potentiometer reading of 172, open should be 125, closed should be 20. So it looks like when moving the arm I either knocked the potentiometer off or I broke it. I didn't feel anything untoward but whatever happened I disturbed it.

Is it definitely possible to access the potentiometer from inside the car by removing the headlining? It's particularly flimsy and I can see it being a pain to pull down but I can't find a picture of how its mounted?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Dave!

Hi Dave

Have you tried resetting it bud?

You can unlock the car put the key in and turn to accessory and then open the tailgate with the button on the door card. Once the tailgate is open hold that same button for 5 seconds and then giver her a try.

I'm guessing you've checked fuses etc?

Daz

Hi Dave

Have you tried resetting it bud?

You can unlock the car put the key in and turn to accessory and then open the tailgate with the button on the door card. Once the tailgate is open hold that same button for 5 seconds and then giver her a try.

I'm guessing you've checked fuses etc?

Daz
Hi,

Just had an issue with my GL, found your solution, and worked a treat👍. Thanks, Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom