W164 ML280 2006 Engine cuts out whilst driving.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shaneo1

Car
Mercedes ML280 CDI 2006
Hi peeps,

I am newly registered here but have been trawling the forums for the past year now. Never thought I'd need to actually start posting.

I'm looking for some advice been driving the past week and had numerous engine cut outs. Tonight I diagnosed the issue being the rear fusebox with its many wires. Recently I changed the rear SAM due to water in the last one leaving the break lights on and must have disturbed a wire loom which is now giving intermittent complete engine failure, it cranks but does not start unless I wiggle the rear fusebox. After that I try to avoid the bumps and pot holes to prevent it from happening again.

Can anyone tell me what is connected to the rear fuse box that would cause the engine to cut out? I have taken a look at the rear fusebox diagrams but don't see what could command it to stop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Possible fuel pump relay ? And control for fuel pump

When it cuts out does it re start straight away ?

Thanks for the reply.. no I have wiggle the fuse box to get it to start again.

The Engine Management light comes on with code for low fuel pressure.

I presume there could be a short to ground behind the fuel pump relay then?

Partner has taken motor to work today so will have to have a wiggle around tomorrow if I can get the truck

Don't want to wiggle it about to much so it never starts again.
:cool:

Last edited:
Can I ask does anyone have a wiring diagram of the rear fusebox for model 164.120?

OK I have taken a look at the back of the rear fusebox and found that a wire had blown out of one of the cable clips. Hot glued it back in and no longer have the issue of the engine cutting out.

Does anyone know what that wire does/supplies? Screenshot_2022-01-19-23-44-15-108.jpgScreenshot_2022-01-19-23-44-20-733.jpgScreenshot_2022-01-19-23-44-27-236.jpg

If anyone else has problems with engine cutting out randomly and you've had work done in rear then check to ensure all fusebox wires are attached correctly. ☺️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom