W164 ML350 CDI Oil Leak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rmvembe

Car
E55K
Hi All,

I noticed some oil spots from the bottom of the car where the engine undertray ends. I had a look in the engine bay and noticed what looks like oil spray at the back of the turbo, on the firewall and on the EGR valve. The oil level is fractionally low on the dipstick but nothing alarming. I know the OM642 lump has weak oil seals etc so the following remedial work was done:
  • replaced oil cooler and seals
  • replaced the rear main seal
  • replaced the turbo inlet seal
The car has done 85K and was also serviced 6K ago. From my judgement, the leak has occurred in the last 2 weeks.

There have been no leaks or performance issues to suggest an issue. I've attached a picture with the oil spray that I can see. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

m3C1SUk.jpg

Maybe the seal at the bottom of the turbo where it bolts onto the block?

Or the green O ring that seals the turbo outlet to the aluminium boost pipe before it passes the fuel filter. It's hard to get the pipe back onto the turbo without nipping the O ring.

Thank you all for your responses. I've looked at the location of the seals mentioned above and they fit the pattern. I'll get the car looked into soon. The seals are cheap as expected. Does anyone know how much this will cost roughly?

Go back to whoever replaced all those seals and ask them what they've done wrong?

Update... I thought I'd take a look and the green seal was broken. I've replaced it cleaned it up and I'll see how it goes in the next few miles @Jobsworth thanks for the tip I wouldn't have known where to start looking

Attachments

• 1126_compress86.jpg
    1126_compress86.jpg
    962.6 KB · Views: 17

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom