W164 ML63 owners ahoy!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 37751

I owned an ML420 CDI about a year ago, so I've got a rough idea of the general things with the W164 (didn't like the plastic seats but I'm sure the AMG has leather?) but I'm just looking for a general chinwag about general ownership; mpg, tyre wear, brake wear, exhaust mods etc

You better not have your eyes on the one I want pal

Actually I was going to ask if any forum folk used to own the car!

Bump.

You know it makes sense Lee ;)

Mrs D has had hers for three years this month and it has been brilliant, we absolutely love it! There's nothing it can't do. High-speed cruise to Monaco, check. Tow a twin-axle caravan, check. Worry super cars, check.

MPG can be ~13mpg for short, stop/start journeys. Motorway runs are around 20mpg, at a fast cruise. Not too bad considering the engine, performance, size of the car, and sense of occasion.

It was shocking in snow on the brand-new 21-inch P-Zeros which were fitted to the car, and so I bought a new set of 20-inch Continental winter tyres and it completely transformed the car in the snow. We run on the winter tyres most of the time now.

Not measured the tyre tread depth but there's plenty on both sets of wheels after 30,000 miles. Brakes, again no idea how much life is left in them, but they're the same set fitted to the car when we bought it.

Our exhaust is completely standard, with the exception of replacement u-bolts which had corroded, causing a rattle at idle. Cured in minutes with a new set, and apparently a common problem.

And yes the AMG has leather, but not nappa.

Just let me know if there's anything else you want to know :thumb:

I've seen one at Mercedes Bradford, doesn't look too dear for a main dealer but it's in Lazurite Blue and I'm wanting black ideally, although I don't mind if it's silver as my last W164 was black.

Obviously it's a 4x4 but what's it like from a standing start and round twisty roads? My ML420 on Airmatic was (for obvious reasons) quite nose heavy.

Last edited by a moderator:
It takes a while to get your head around it's performance, from a standing start, through bends, or the rate of acceleration at motorway speeds.

It always feels fast, and it definitely sounds fast! It's very composed through bends, although I think the latest Cayenne just, and I mean just, has the edge on winding roads.

The latest generation of turbocharged SSUVs will better it in outright performance, but whether you would notice, I'm not sure.

As you know there's a real sense of occasion from the M156, and i think the engine really suits the W164 chassis. It really is an outstanding family car.

Here's Mrs D in hers. She just told me to tell you the Sport button is good :D

bobby-dazzler-albums-dazzler-fleet-picture6447-ml63-amg-brindley-place-birmingham.jpg

Just had a look at the lazurite car. Looks nice. No privacy glass, which is a bonus for me. Unusual having 19-inch wheels too, making it look even more subtle.

Just had a look at the lazurite car. Looks nice. No privacy glass, which is a bonus for me. Unusual having 19-inch wheels too, making it look even more subtle.

Didn't notice the 19's to be honest, you've put me off it now!

Still think you'd be as well selling me yours Rob, about time you treated your lovely wife to a Bi-Turbo...:D

I owned an ML420 CDI about a year ago, so I've got a rough idea of the general things with the W164 (didn't like the plastic seats but I'm sure the AMG has leather?) but I'm just looking for a general chinwag about general ownership; mpg, tyre wear, brake wear, exhaust mods etc

I had a 2014 Ml63 and loved it....the only real pain was it needed all new tyres every 6,000 miles max and to keep it under warranty had to be Mercedes approved tyres at £1,500 a set

Still one off the best AMG's ive had....looking forward to Friday to pick up my new C63s Wagon :bannana:

Mine will be up for sale soon.

I am just re-building the gearbox as we speak. Its got 58k on it and mapped to 540 BHP.

Black with black and almost every option.

Mine will be up for sale soon.

I am just re-building the gearbox as we speak. Its got 58k on it and mapped to 540 BHP.

Black with black and almost every option.

Any idea when yours will be available ? If not too soon, I would like to join the queue of potentially interested members.

Thanks

It's still for sale and has been reduced by £3k! (And it's not Lazurite, it's silver :eek:)

Used 3829

It's still for sale and has been reduced by £3k! (And it's not Lazurite, it's silver :eek:)

Used 3829

It'a a fairly low specced car - no HK sound, keyless go, rear entertainment/tv/dab, but it comes with a years MB warranty and has full dealer history, so maybe not bad for the money, if you don't mind the miles :dk:

if you don't mind the miles :dk:

It's done 10k a year? You class this as being high?

Low mileage (for the year) vehicles don't really interest me; low mileage tends to mean more short journeys which means more wear and tear.

It's done 10k a year? You class this as being high?

Low mileage (for the year) vehicles don't really interest me; low mileage tends to mean more short journeys which means more wear and tear.

no worries, at least we won't be chasing after the same cars :)

no worries, at least we won't be chasing after the same cars :)

To be honest, after my extended test drive of one today, I doubt I'll be chasing one at all...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom