W164 Turbo Whistling Diagnosis & possible failure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

modzi

Car
W164 ML 320 cdi & W220 S320
I recently had my W164 2006 serviced including transmission service. Car has 80k on the clock and have maintained it regularly in accordance with schedule.

I supplied genuine MB parts and have been using the same garage for all my cars for a while so have faith in their technicians and work.

However, since getting the car back there was a whistling noise from the turbo which kicks in at 2500 rpm. Took it back and they stripped the turbo down and advised it needed a seal which was worn. Replaced this for £80 inc parts. Got the car back and the noise was still there. Back in the garage again and have been advised today that it is the turbo that needs replacing.

Question is does a whistling noise constitute to a failing turbo? reading on the forum these turbo units are fairly good and 80k seems early for a failure.

If indeed it is the turbo can anyone recommend a company to provide a reconditioned replacement or a genuine MD replacement.

Any help would be appreciated.

If the whistle is loud then the turbo could indeed be worn. We have done a few. We tend to use genuine MB because of the two year warranty.

Hi Ollie,

It does get louder with acceleration. I do about 2k motorway miles a month can understand if it is worn.

They suggest letting it run for a while as it is at early stages but i'm not too keen on taking a risk.

Can you give me an estimate on cost for replacement and labour.

Be very careful before condemning a turbo for whistling . A leak on the manifold side will also cause whistling

modzi said:
Hi Ollie, It does get louder with acceleration. I do about 2k motorway miles a month can understand if it is worn. They suggest letting it run for a while as it is at early stages but i'm not too keen on taking a risk. Can you give me an estimate on cost for replacement and labour.

Can you email me the chassis number to [email protected]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom