W164 Wing mirror issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wacko74

Car
ML 300
so guys it’s “help please” time again

Halfway down the street on the way to work this morning I check my nearside wing mirror and see my own reflection :mad:

When I stopped and tried to in fold nothing happened
I tried the switch a few times and all it did was judder but didn’t fold out

Now after trying to give it a gentle move its lost its link to the drive so it’s just attached at the pivot end

Any ideas?????

Within the first 35 seconds of my explanation my highly trusted garage interrupts with "£690".

I keep explaining how the glass won't adjust nor will the nearside mirror drop when in reverse.

Again, a simple "£690".

It's apparently such a common issue on my ML500 (and presumably similar) that it has only one cure - a full replacement of the gubbins (but not necessarily the housing).

Seemingly no Chinese lookie-likies or cheapo used parts. Nor any serviceable parts.

I now find the nearside kerb with my sense of hearing.

Thanks for the info ab9758
Sounds like a daily trawl through ebay for a used mirror

I don't suppose any other models are interchangeable with the W164

Been monitoring ebay for months with no luck. I'd you find a seller with two let me know!

I'm unsure why other similar age models should differ and all I can think of is the auto dipping of the nearside mirror on reverse. I don't know if this is universal on the whole range

Hog - many thanks for this. Could Wacko (OP) and anyone else try something with me?
My garage said before ordering from overseas, post a part request on Find a Part
(My first time using this search of salvage yards etc)
Reason is I have a ML500 which at first glance restricts the breadth of search as it's such a rare model.
I tried to search for all W164 versions (as are you) but can't find a way to select the whole model range in the search.
If you have any W164 variations you could try we'll see if we have any luck between us!
Alan

Hi Gents
I have tried the "find a part" type guys before and they do seem to be quite helpful
I have used "parts 24/7" before when I was after a front hub for my old Passat

I don't think its the control element that's at fault with mine though
is this the motor that controls the glass?

I think the motor (or its mechanism) controls the mirror angle (up, down etc) and the folding in of the whole wing mirror and then in my car it's part of the seat memory positioning and - most useful for me - the auto dipping when selecting reverse.

They first quite so far is £280 from salvage but that's for the whole wing mirror (which I don't need) and they won't sell separately.

I've a feeling I'll end up with the one suggested by Hog.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom