W166 ML63 Dual Clutch or not

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crapmerc

Car
AMG ML63
Is the W166 AMG ML63 dual clutch or not, many websites describe it as 7G Tronic Dual Clutch, Mercedes say it doesn't have a dual clutch :confused:

Last edited:
The only Mercs with dual clutch gearboxes at the moment are the FWD/AWD-- Aclass, Bclass, CLA coupe and GLA crossover automatics.---- and the new SLC-- Unless AMG are puting it in their ML63 as well - but I doubt it because of the demands of the 4WD system.

Mercedes-Benz SLC AMG (2015) scoop | Secret New Cars | Car Magazine Online

I guess a few of the mags got it wrong, top gear quoted:-

"The AMG bits, engine aside, start with its own take on the 7G-tronic double-clutch transmission: a new transfer box which pumps 60 per cent of the 516 lb/ft to the back axle"

The new Mercedes ML63 AMG - BBC Top Gear

No dual clutch, it uses a traditional torque converter with lockup, referred to as Speedshift by AMG.

Source: Mercedes AMG then click Drivetrain

ML63 AMG 4Matic: "AMG Speeshift Plus 7G-Tronic 7 speed automatic transmission"

The only Mercs with dual clutch gearboxes at the moment are the FWD/AWD-- Aclass, Bclass, CLA coupe and GLA crossover automatics

I thought that the e63/cls63 was a dual clutch AMG unit?

I thought that the e63/cls63 was a dual clutch AMG unit?

Close but no cigar.;) from wikipedia

Mercedes-AMG developed the 7-speed MCT "Multi Clutch Technology" planetary semi-automatic transmission.

The MCT transmission is essentially the 7G-Tronic automatic transmission without a torque converter. Instead of a torque converter, it uses a compact wet startup clutch to launch the car from a stop, and also supports computer-controlled double declutching. The MCT (Multi-Clutch Technology) acronym refers to a planetary (automatic) transmission’s multiple clutches and bands for each gear.[4]

The MCT is fitted with four drive modes: “C” (Comfort), “S” (Sport), “S+” (Sport plus) and “M” (Manual) and boasts 100 millisecond shifts in "M" and "S+" modes. MCT-equipped cars are also fitted with the new AMG DRIVE UNIT with innovative Race Start function. The AMG DRIVE UNIT is the central control unit for the AMG SPEEDSHIFT MCT 7-speed sports transmission and all driving dynamics functions. The driver can change gears either using the selector lever, or by nudging the steering-wheel shift paddles. The new Race start Function is a launch control system which enables the driver to call on maximum acceleration, while ensuring optimum traction of the driven wheels.

It is available on the 2009 SL 63 AMG and E63 AMG, and will be used for the 2011 S63 AMG and CL63 AMG, and the 2012 CLS63 AMG and C63 AMG.

So basically the 7 speed auto with the torque convertor replaced with an automated clutch.
This is slightly different in concept to a dual clutch gearbox which is essentialy a type of preselect manual box with 2 clutches for alternate gear shafts.

Have to say "speedshift MCT " is a new one on me.:confused:

ps unlikely again to suited to a 4WD vehicle

pps
this now makes me doubt the description in the original link I posted as correct maybe the SLS uses a speedshift MCT transmission also.:doh::doh: AMG/MB don't make it easy do they-- maybe its a translation thing???

Last edited:
I wish the paddle shifters on the ML63 were more responsive, the click and wait is just horrible. The X5M, which also didn't have a dual clutch, was super fast on its paddles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom