W166 Upgrade to AMG seats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gordy07

Car
ML270
Hi guys and gals hope your all safe.I have a 2013 250 AMG sport with quite a basic spec.The seats are not heated or memory.I bought new seats from a 2018 GLE AMG which are much better,test fitted the passenger one,plugged in the seat and airbag plugs obviously not expecting the heated part to work yet(have bought new dash panel with switches)But the seat doesn't move and now i have airbag warning on dash.The plugs are the same shape but the AMG one is using more pins on the connectors.Any ideas what i need to do or buy in order to get them working?Thanks in advance

Ideally you need the seat loom and possibly the module to control the electric functions of the seat? It will all tie into the dash switches. I'm not sure if it can even be done without coding in, I've only ever retrofitted options on much older cars.

Thanks for your reply,i thought it may be a bit more complicated than plugging in! I would love to get a solution but figured being more modern it might be tougher.I will try and source the loom and module from the guy i bought the seats from as he was breaking the vehicle.Any other input would be greatly appreciated.

Whole can of worms you're getting into there (I have recently done similar).
You will need new door cards, seat switches (for door card), electric steering column (if you want it to all work properly).
The "looms" aren't a seperate item but will need to be hand built and wired into the Canbus at the correct point.
You will also need to adapt the rear SAM.
You will then need Vedoc updated, SCN coding and an immense amount of both time and patience.
Good luck if you decide to go ahead.

Whole can of worms you're getting into there (I have recently done similar).
You will need new door cards, seat switches (for door card), electric steering column (if you want it to all work properly).
The "looms" aren't a seperate item but will need to be hand built and wired into the Canbus at the correct point.
You will also need to adapt the rear SAM.
You will then need Vedoc updated, SCN coding and an immense amount of both time and patience.
Good luck if you decide to go ahead.
Thanks for the help,i have bought the new door cards and heated seat switches so far.I spoke to an Auto Electrican guy today and he says coding it in shouldn't be too hard.
I wasnt aware i needed the steering column,could it be done without this?
In what way do i need to adapt the rear SAM?
Does anyone know of a company they would recommend to make me custom looms?
I am determined to go ahead with it and will happily keep you all updated with the progress.

Thanks for the help,i have bought the new door cards and heated seat switches so far.I spoke to an Auto Electrican guy today and he says coding it in shouldn't be too hard.
I wasnt aware i needed the steering column,could it be done without this?
In what way do i need to adapt the rear SAM?
Does anyone know of a company they would recommend to make me custom looms?
I am determined to go ahead with it and will happily keep you all updated with the progress.
To add the memory seat option to your vehicle the Auto Electrician will need to be able either to edit the VeDoc (have access to the online vehicle build sheet in Germany) or use Vediamo or DTS software to "offline" code the actual ECU units. You can't use Xentry to activate options that weren't fitted to your VIN unless it is added to the original build sheet (very few Indys have this a licence but comandonline do).

You can add just options 241 and 242 (I think from memory) which should enable you to activate fully electric and heated seats. If you want to go memory then you will need to add option 275 which is "Memory Package" and gives you memory seats, mirrors and steering column (if you have those items fitted) - If you don't have them fitted, the seats will still work but Xentry / STAR will throw a code for each item showing a fault. You also have to think of the Hall sensors that are part of your seat motors and control / measure the in/out & up/down limits of the motors.

The rear SAM uses different terminals to output power to fully electric seats so that they shut off after 5 or 10 mins, otherwise they drain your battery.

The looms aren't actually hard to assemble (in fact you could get away with adding just 2 wires into each of the existing plugs and then connecting them into the CANBUS at the correct place if you dont want the electric memory steering column). The hardest part is stripping out the seats, sills and carpet to enable the cables to be laid safely and correctly (oh, it's also kind of hard, but not impossible, to get the correctly coloured and gauge FLRY cables).

Hope this is giving you more of an idea of what needs to be considered.

HD

To add the memory seat option to your vehicle the Auto Electrician will need to be able either to edit the VeDoc (have access to the online vehicle build sheet in Germany) or use Vediamo or DTS software to "offline" code the actual ECU units. You can't use Xentry to activate options that weren't fitted to your VIN unless it is added to the original build sheet (very few Indys have this a licence but comandonline do).

You can add just options 241 and 242 (I think from memory) which should enable you to activate fully electric and heated seats. If you want to go memory then you will need to add option 275 which is "Memory Package" and gives you memory seats, mirrors and steering column (if you have those items fitted) - If you don't have them fitted, the seats will still work but Xentry / STAR will throw a code for each item showing a fault. You also have to think of the Hall sensors that are part of your seat motors and control / measure the in/out & up/down limits of the motors.

The rear SAM uses different terminals to output power to fully electric seats so that they shut off after 5 or 10 mins, otherwise they drain your battery.

The looms aren't actually hard to assemble (in fact you could get away with adding just 2 wires into each of the existing plugs and then connecting them into the CANBUS at the correct place if you dont want the electric memory steering column). The hardest part is stripping out the seats, sills and carpet to enable the cables to be laid safely and correctly (oh, it's also kind of hard, but not impossible, to get the correctly coloured and gauge FLRY cables).

Hope this is giving you more of an idea of what needs to be considered.

HD
Thanks so much for your help i will speak to my auto electrician and keep you posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom