W168 2001 - Problem with stalk/switch - full beam stays on

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paulfoel

Same stalk as wiper controls (this bit works fine).

But the push forward/pull back for normal/high beam is broken. Both settings are full beam. Only way to turn full beam off is to nudge the stalk forward a little. Trouble is go over a bump.

Any ideas? Complete new stalk needed? Or just the switch bit?

How hard to replace?

Assume this sort of thing is an mot failure :-(

New stalk needed , approx £90 from dealers

Don't put a secondhand one on off eBay as you have no idea of the history.

You can do it yourself if you are half competent , I'm not so paid an auto electrician to do ours , didn't cost much.

Not a difficult job but involves disconnecting the air bag - I left it to an expert to do mine.

Not a difficult job but involves disconnecting the air bag - I left it to an expert to do mine.

I guess the steering column has got to come apart? Airbag - wasnt aware it had one!

paulfoel said:
Airbag - wasnt aware it had one!

Probably best to get a professional to do it then.

All the details including safety advise is on my web, it can be done as long as you pay attention to the detail as you remove. Because there is an air bag fitted I would advise disconnecting the battery, you will then need to re-set electric windows and the ABS/ESP all the details are on my site.
The hardest bit is undoing the steering wheel securing (Allen) key bolt , a second pair of hands is useful to hold the steering wheel .What ever you do, do not tamper with the clock spring. and put each screw back where they are removed from.
Lofty

Bert Rowe's-Mercedes-Benz 'A'-class info. Combination Switch, Items of Equipment site :-

Probably best to get a professional to do it then.

LOL Yes I think I will. Of course it has an airbag I was thinking of my old merc which didnt for some reason. :fail

Im not that bad that I cant see its got an airbag when the steering wheel is in front of me. But I still think I might get someone else to do.

All the details including safety advise is on my web, it can be done as long as you pay attention to the detail as you remove. Because there is an air bag fitted I would advise disconnecting the battery, you will then need to re-set electric windows and the ABS/ESP all the details are on my site.
The hardest bit is undoing the steering wheel securing (Allen) key bolt , a second pair of hands is useful to hold the steering wheel .What ever you do, do not tamper with the clock spring. and put each screw back where they are removed from.
Lofty

Bert Rowe's-Mercedes-Benz 'A'-class info. Combination Switch, Items of Equipment site :-

Cheers Lofty. Superb info. Probably convinced me NOT to do it myself though but many thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom