W168 2001 - Remote broken

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paulfoel

And I've only got one. Seems to be the bit on the circuit board that contacts the batteries has snapped off.

Managed somehow (it half worked for a bit) to get the alarm turned off. Now I'm able to lock the other doors manually from inside then get out and use the key to lock driver door.

1. Is this going to work? Worried that when I try to drive alarm is going to come on or something?

2. Is there a way of using the car by not using remote, not using alarm and just using the key to gain access etc?

In terms of getting it sorted:-

1. How much for replacement remote - not cheap?
2. Anyone had any joy soldering bit back on?
3. Any other options?

It's a flip out key one yes ?

Good news is that these are a bit cheaper than the other sort, still the best part of £200 though.

Trouble is , as it's your only one , it's always going to be a bit of a lottery if you repair it.

I'd bite the bullet , get a new one and then consider a repair on the existing one and keep it as a backup

It's a flip out key one yes ?

Good news is that these are a bit cheaper than the other sort, still the best part of £200 though.

Trouble is , as it's your only one , it's always going to be a bit of a lottery if you repair it.

I'd bite the bullet , get a new one and then consider a repair on the existing one and keep it as a backup

Yes flip out key. £200!!!!!! I guess you need more than a key then!

Car is probably only worth £700-800. Know anywhere I can get a repair done?

When you unlock the car via the remote fob you also disarm the alarm, the alarm can’t go off while it’s disarmed.

You should be able to get it repaired by someone experienced with computer/mobile phone or an auto electrician, you are going to need a speedy while you wait service if you are to avoid the loss of the car if you were use a postal repair service.

Best to remove the remote batteries for now, if you continue to lock the car with the faulty remote you are in danger off not being able to unlock and so you won’t be able to disarm the alarm.

Dec

I'd get one of those aftermarket cases to re-house your key, as it doesn't sound like the original will be able to hold it together, even after you repair the PCB. These certainly have somewhat cheaper feel to it, comparing to a [new] Mercedes key, but they do work well - I used one as a "valet" key for 4 years, and it still looks fine and functions perfectly.

Thing is its completely broken at the moment. I've taken the insides out inc batteries and just using the key. So no reason why I can't take the key bit out (or get one cut) and send off.

What happened I think was it was working and I managed to disable the alarm. Then the tab broke off completely. Lucky really.

So now I use the car, albeit, no alarm using the key for the doors. When I gety out I have to manually push down each button ,get out lock drivers door and boot. (Is there any way to stop other doors unlocking when you open driver door from inside?).

If you have an Owners Manual, look up Global Locking and Selective Locking.
You will need a working remote fob to use this feature, that is, if your car supports it.

Dec

Well I've found somewhere to repair it for £40. Trouble is need to send the key off and its my only one. I've been using the car using just the manual key since - works fine just a PITA having to manually press all the buttons down when you get out of the car.

I've been trying to get a key cut but can't find anywhere to do it. Am I right in saying this is pointless though since the original contains a transponder for the immobiliser also? (Even on this old an A class).

I was hoping to get a plain key cut so I could still use the car whilst key fob was being repaired.

You can detach the key blade from the remote fob, remove key blade from the remote and insert a thin nail in through the hole in the end of the key blade so as to give you some turning leverage when you are starting the car.
If the car starts then there is no transponder chip (pea) If the car doesn’t start then you will have to remove the chip from the remote and tape it to the key blade so as to allow the car to start.
See how to in last 2 pictures at bottom of this page here… Bert Rowe's-A-class info. Hazard warning, car keys, re-synchronizing remote keys, Central locking.

Dec

You can detach the key blade from the remote fob, remove key blade from the remote and insert a thin nail in through the hole in the end of the key blade so as to give you some turning leverage when you are starting the car.
If the car starts then there is no transponder chip (pea) If the car doesn’t start then you will have to remove the chip from the remote and tape it to the key blade so as to allow the car to start.
See how to in last 2 pictures at bottom of this page here… Bert Rowe's-A-class info. Hazard warning, car keys, re-synchronizing remote keys, Central locking.

Dec

Cheers Dec. Didnt think of that - fairly obvious lol.
To be honest, the fob is currently held together with sellotape so getting key blade out will be easy.

To be honest, the

Be careful not to lose the small components associated with the key blade.
The video below is useful for showing how to reassembly, see about halve way through the video.

Dec
[YOUTUBE HD]lCqfivH9-Dg[/YOUTUBE HD]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom