W168 2001 - replacing main beam headlight bulb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I too had problems replacing the light bulb on the front offside on my W168. It was really difficult enough to get the bulb out, but near impossible to get the new one in correctly, resulting in a skewed bulb.

Luckily on a trip to Steve Garlick to the transmission oil changed, such was his interest in every car that passes through him, he showed me how to correctly extract and replace the front offside bulb. There is indeed an access hatch in the front offside wheel arch on the facelift W168!!! This is NOT documented in the owner's manual.

Last edited:
Just had a look at the wife's treasured (i.e. I am not allowed to get rid of it) A190 from 2002. There is no access panel. It looks like you would have to remove the entire front arch liner to get to the headlamp.

I did notice on Vin17 that there are two part numbers for that arch liner and the drawing showed a hatch outline, perhaps its pot luck as to whether you get a hatch?

PS wongl: Hong Kong to Maidstone is impressive for an oil change.

Last edited:
I seem to remember the wheel arch needing to be removed to gain access to the hatch.

Hi Howard, I can see 2 headlight unit fixing bolts the 3rd must be behind the bumper ??? d

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom