W168 2001 - replacing main beam headlight bulb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paulfoel

Impossible to get at IMHO....

Really winds me up that its so difficult these days to change something like a bulb. Should be a 10 minute job.

Passenger side. Other bulbs not so bad but this is impossible.

Wondering if its easier to take headlight unit out completely?

(Used to have an old Kia Sedona where you had to remove the front bumper to change the bulb).

Never had a problem changing headligh bulbs in our old w168

You are releasing the clips and lifting the screen wash bottle out aren't you ?

Paul, if you don't have a manual for your W168, I can email one to you (reduced size), or can upload a full resolution version to something like WeTransfer.

As Howard said, it's just a matter of unclipping the washer bottle and flipping it over to one side.

Paul, if you don't have a manual for your W168, I can email one to you (reduced size), or can upload a full resolution version to something like WeTransfer.

As Howard said, it's just a matter of unclipping the washer bottle and flipping it over to one side.

LOL yes. Its on the other side though.

Still can't reach!

Isnt washer bottle driver side? Its expansion tank passenger side?

Thanks :) I've got manual. Perhaps Im just clumsy/got big hands.

Washer bottle is passenger side

To be honest, I've spent over an hour this weekend trying to do. Very disappointed in mercedes.

Surely they test whether these things are doable easily. Methinks they'd rather you go to the dealer so they make it just that little bit too fiddly.

For that reason, it has put me off ever buying another merc if Im honest.

Ah. Heres the story. One went last weekend so stupidly I asked halfords to do.
Looks like they didnt turn the connector and have instead rammed it in so its well stuck now.

This weekend the other went so I changed that. Went to check the other (so I could put halogen blue bulbs in each). Of course cant get it out now.

Looks like removal of entire unit is only option.

To be honest, I've spent over an hour this weekend trying to do. Very disappointed in mercedes.

Surely they test whether these things are doable easily. Methinks they'd rather you go to the dealer so they make it just that little bit too fiddly.

Bulbs typically last longer than tyres and to change the tyres you have to go to a special garage and they need a special machine to get the old ones off and the new ones on... including removing ALL the wheels... AND they have to dispose of the old ones for you.

Just saying.

Could be worse you have to take the front bumper and other front end fittments off to change the headlight bulbs on some Audis

Best design by a mile is Volvo all headlight unit is held in by two pegs it just pops out and it is literally 30 seconds to change a bulb

Last edited:
Taking the units out is a 5 minute job, three little bolts hold them in.

No need to take the bumper off.

Not sure if you are talking MB or Audi but on an A8 there are 6 screws that hold the headlights in. 4 you can get to but the 2 below the headlight are covered by the bumper which you have to loosen or remove to get access to the heads. You can also do the bulbs via the wheel arch liners but its tight and I think its easier to drop the bumper.

Not Audi's finest hour in the design department :D

I worked at Rastatt when the "tall" A-class was being made. They assembled the front module to the car in one piece. Headlamps, cooler pack and bumper all in place. They new is was a bugger to do back then We get some in at the garage as Merc quote £100 or similar to do it. Simple tool to help twist the bulb is all that we needed.

Bulbs typically last longer than tyres and to change the tyres you have to go to a special garage and they need a special machine to get the old ones off and the new ones on... including removing ALL the wheels... AND they have to dispose of the old ones for you.

Just saying.

Ha ha. Thats because you NEED a machine to take tyres off the rims. Swapping a bulb can be a 1 minute job IF its accessible,

Is there not a removable cover in the wheel arch liner?
It rings a bell with me when I owned 3 W168's.
They were earlier models though.

I believe the wheel arch access was removed with the 2001? W168 facelift.

Paulfoel, can I refer you to Lofty's A class website "Replacing Front light bulbs on W169 A Class Classic 2009". His website has proved very useful to me and other A class maintainers.

He has a procedure there, with photo's. Unfortunately it does seem to be a bumper loosen job.

He does refer to an underwing hatch, but that seems to be for the indicator bulb only.

Last edited:
:thumb: W169, Spot on, the hatch only allows access to the indicator bulb, but do not let slackening off the front spoiler put you off it is only a few bolts and I clip certainly it is easier for replacing the headlight bulbs.

The biggest problem I found was trying the locate the acting fitting of the bulb because no way can you see inside the headlamp unit without a mirror and even that didn't help me. But I do have coal shovels for hands which does not help when it comes to this type of job.

Some of the early w168 did have a hatch in the liner but that was dropped on the W168 face lift 2001 onwards

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom