w168 A-Class wooden door trim panel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheJoker

Car
A160 Petrol/Auto/2001
Guys,

I was wondering if anyone knows how difficult it is to remove the wooden door trim panels off the doors on my w168 A-Class. I don't like the wood(effect?), and I've already covered the centre console with graphite vinyl, so I wanted to do the wooden door trims too.

Do I need to take the whole door card off, or can I pry them off and push them back on? I feel a bit lazy, so I'm contemplating doing the job on the doors if it's too much work to take them off, but then again, I'd like it done properly. :cool:

I couldn't find an image of a door with the wood on it on the net, but here's one of the door without the wood. The piece I'm talking about is between the door handle and the "SRS airbag"-text.

1038-180111-160111-431-010-PTIMG.jpg

Oh, and they're on the back doors too, so 4 all in all. :cool:

This is a picture of pre-facelift door, but you're talking about facelift W168.

I too would be interested in replacing my trim panels - they are not 'wood' but a bit tacky looking silver mesh type. I'd prefer something very simple - grey plastic/leather etc. If anyone can point to a range of available options, it'll be great, together with removal instructions :)

Here's the diagram of the door card.

Last edited:
This is a picture of pre-facelift door, but you're talking about facelift W168.

I stand erected, Dave! You're right. I just thought it was a Classic door rather than Elegance. Min is a facelift W168. :thumb:

I too would be interested in replacing my trim panels - they are not 'wood' but a bit tacky looking silver mesh type. I'd prefer something very simple - grey plastic/leather etc. If anyone can point to a range of available options, it'll be great, together with removal instructions :)

If they're mesh-ish, then I'm assuming you can't cover yours in vinyl?

I've wrapped my motorbike in vinyl, and whilst it's not as good as a full-on paint job, it's huge bang-for-the-buck as I only paid about £15 for 3 metres of charcoal and the same for satin black. I've got tons left after doing the bike.

Something like this:
Before
photo%2525201.JPG

During
photo%2525203.JPG

After
photo%2525205.JPG

Here's the diagram of the door card.
Thanks!! Hmmm... looks like the panels might just pop off... :rock: but do I dare try?! :dk:

Interesting, where did you buy it? I might give it a try. Will this work on a handle cover? Would be nice to have 'new' handles ... Could you PM me with details where to get it and how to apply? Thanks :)

If they are anything like the 203 door trims the door card has to be removed to access the retaining bolts on the rear.

Interesting, where did you buy it? I might give it a try. Will this work on a handle cover? Would be nice to have 'new' handles ... Could you PM me with details where to get it and how to apply? Thanks :)

I bought it from my local friendly sign maker, well not that local, but they seem to be good guys. Cherwell Sign Supplies | Professional Signmaking Products
Any well stocked sign maker should have it. It's just "normal" sticky vinyl. :bannana:
I applied it with a tad too little patience, a bit too much dust and a few air-bubbles. I used a scalpell (xacto knife, I think they've been referred to) and a sort of a squeegee that they sell at the sign makers. My one has got one side as a felt thingy and the other normal plastic. Scissors are good to cut it up to approximate size.
Some use hair-dryers or hot air guns. I don't have a hot air gun, and I found the hair dryer to blow the air too fast, but it did make it soft to apply around the edges.
You can always rip it off if it doesn't apply well. :rock:
I don't know which handle you're referring to, but if the surface isn't porous then it should work fine.
Naturally you need to clean the stuff off first so there's no dirt or grease on the pieces you're taping up.

Here's the graphite on my centre console.
CIMG8138.JPG

W169 has a bolt for that trim piece and it is shown on the EPC diagram.

There isnt a bolt shown on the W168 EPC diagram so it looks like are they are just cliped in. Carefully lever off the top with a trim removal tool and look in the gap to confirm there is no bolt behind.

W169 has a bolt for that trim piece and it is shown on the EPC diagram.

There isnt a bolt shown on the W168 EPC diagram so it looks like are they are just cliped in. Carefully lever off the top with a trim removal tool and look in the gap to confirm there is no bolt behind.

Good idea! Thanks! :thumb:

I bought it from my local friendly sign maker, well not that local, but they seem to be good guys. Cherwell Sign Supplies | Professional Signmaking Products
Any well stocked sign maker should have it. It's just "normal" sticky vinyl. :bannana:
<...>
I don't know which handle you're referring to, but if the surface isn't porous then it should work fine.
Naturally you need to clean the stuff off first so there's no dirt or grease on the pieces you're taping up.

Great, thanks. My centre console is quite nice, actually, it's just these trims - although same material as console, it looks rather tacky [after all these years] where its bent, i.e. the top edge of the trim panel.

The handle is just the inside door handle (cover) - see the diagram, it's the one with the red arrow. Again, the front ones are just a bit tacky. Can't find the parts to replace them, so vinyl wrapping might be a good idea.

Incidentally, looking at your picture above, what type of double-DIN fascia adapter do I need - it looks more complicated than pre-facelift W168, where I had no problem just removing Audio30 and storage compartment and putting a Pioneer double-DIN unit in. Anyone has done that or knows which adapter will work?

No idea regarding the double-DIN facia.... I would like to replace the CD storage and poinless cubby hole with a drinks holder and a larger cubby hole.... so, anyone know if there's any such thing..? Don't mind building the cubby hole, but I'd love those fold-out-drinks holders. :) :)

Regarding your door handles, it'd be easy to try with some vinyl! :)

You can buy din sized drinks holders but it will take up the whole bottom din slot. Some have a drawer in the top half and drinks holder in the bottom half. din cup, can, drink holder | eBay

Last edited:
No idea regarding the double-DIN facia.... I would like to replace the CD storage and poinless cubby hole with a drinks holder and a larger cubby hole.... so, anyone know if there's any such thing..? Don't mind building the cubby hole, but I'd love those fold-out-drinks holders. :) :)

Regarding your door handles, it'd be easy to try with some vinyl! :)

Yeah, will try that - the sign makers are only about 20 miles from here :thumb:
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom