W168 a160. Auto. No reverse!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NOMONEYBUTAMERC

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
BMW X1 . Porsche 968 Boxster
Having decided to get rid of the A160 , I thought I would try to cure the "F"ing display fault . Removed handbrake console, took the pcb out of the PRND unit and sprayed it with electrical contact cleaner . Made sure it was totally dry , reassembled the unit and started up. Dash indicated P, moved gear lever to R , dash still displayed P and car did not move, moved lever to N , dash still displayed P , moved to D , dash displayed R , but the car was actually in drive! a slight predicament as it is at the bottom of the drive , facing the garage!:wallbash::wallbash:. I really do not want to throw good money after bad by buying new pcb`s etc , and still have a faulty car. I bought my wife a 60 plate Kia Soul yesterday ( sadistic I know! ) , thinking I would give the A class to my youngest son , but it seems not such a good idea since he always wants me to sort any problems with his cars!

Have you tried heating the PCB, after you cleaned it? - more often than not W168 suffers from dry soldered contacts and this might help.

Ideally you'd need a hot plate from underneath (obviously not hot enough to melt) and very narrow heat gun from the top.

Also, have you tried W/S switch?

Thanks GLK , I used the wifes hairdryer , rather than my heat gun , to dry off the pcb . Also tried switching W/S . Reset fault code with an OBD2 , got dangerously close to picking up a large hammer after taking out/replacing everything three times. Decided to leave it until another day before touching again :mad:.

Yes, I know the feeling.

I really took good care of my old W168, never put it in gear until RPMs drop below 1k, FMBSH, etc, and then it got the dreaded F and I had to replace the TCU, which took more than six weeks. Sold it right after that was done, with 107.5k on the clock and for a very good price, in all fairness.

The current C169 with 29k on the clock was purchased five days after the fault appeared - I knew I won't keep the old one, once fixed.

She has refused to drive it (providing i can even fix it) , so theres the best part of a grand gone to waste.:mad:

Losing one's confidence in a car is hard to overcome with logic alone.
I still like the 168 shape better than 169, but ...

Thanks Graeme. I used this link yesterday to get tips on dismantling/reassembling. The car was selecting all gears correctly , between fails, until I took it apart.! seems I have only made matters worse. :mad: I have decided to have one more attempt at fixing it and have disconnected the battery for a while to see whether it has any effect on rebooting the ecu.

I wonder if the gear lever has to be in certain position when the system reboots/reconnects to establish a "zero" or reference point?

Just found ecusolutionswales. they offer a testing/repair for £120 , think I may give them a try. Either will have a car I can sell , or just lose another £120:doh:

Ecutesting.com will sort this out for you.

They're fantastic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom