W168 A160 EML On

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sidmon

Got a 2003 A160 with the EML light on. Have read the codes and it comes back as:

Stored DTC
P0600 Serial Communication Link Malfunction

Stored DTC (pending)
PO335 – Crankshaft Position Sensor A circuit Malfunction
PO600 – Serial Communication Link Malfunction

When you try and reset it fault code it's not possible.

Anyone had owt similar?

Have been researching and the general opinion is that the crank sensor rarely fails and that those codes can be associated with a defective ECU/MAF.

Symptoms for a duff crank sensor are engine starts when cold or cool but not when warm or hot. It could be on the way out and they do die from time to time. It happened on my C43 just 2 days after I purchased it and changed the part and never a problem again. It hasn't happened (yet) on my C240 even if it is older, but it has travelled less distance than the 43.
MAF would give rough idling, poor revving etc. I doubt your ECU is giving up the ghost. They are pretty tough units most of the time

Have been researching and the general opinion is that the crank sensor rarely fails and that those codes can be associated with a defective ECU/MAF.

Crank sensor issues are not unheard of on the W168. I have just had the maf sensor replaced on my A160 for the usual poor idle/hesitation scenario.

I used the firm recommended on loftys website, www.ecutesting.com. These guys come highly recommended, friendly,quick turnaround, and my car is so much nicer to drive now.:bannana:

Last edited:

I'd go CS first ( it's a lot cheaper than a ECU/MAS !! )

ECU/MAS problem tends to show up on STAR as Hot Film Module Failure ( or something like that ) ..... i speak from experience ;)

If the codes are suggesting the CS , why not try that first ?

Crank sensor issues are not unheard of on the W168. I have just had the maf sensor replaced on my A160 for the usual poor idle/hesitation scenario.

I used the firm recommended on loftys website, www.ecutesting.com. These guys come highly recommended, friendly,quick turnaround, and my car is so much nicer to drive now.:bannana:

Agree with Area51 , they did ours too.

Codes read with a snap on reader and 10 stored in total. Changed the crank sensor and reset the codes EML light initally out. Test drove it but EML back and p0360 B6/1 Camshaft Hall Sensor stored twice now.

Do I now need to change cam sensor? Or has anyone got any other ideas/experience?

Scanned vehicle again before fitting it and noticed was also getting P0600 fault. Fitted new Ignition Coil and EML still lit and same codes.

Next thing I'm going to do is change the Cam Sensor and if that doesn't work then I'm at a loss other than possible ECU/MAF issues.

Cam Sensor changed and problem (hopefully) solved.

Thanks for everyones input!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom