W168 new gearbox! Recon, refurb, or new? Help please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rossyl

Car
CLK 230K W208 Coupe (1999)(Auto)
Hey all,

My girlfriend has a mint w168 evo 2.1L 2003 36,000 miles and she's been told that the MANUAL gearbox needs replacing!

She's been quoted the following:
New clutch and gearbox = £3,315 fitted.

Refurb current = £2,500 (unknown if they can fix, and an assumption that parts won't be over £1k)

Recon, I've no idea? Need to have a look around.

The rates are London prices, not from a forum member so let me know thoughts on price, I'm guessing a little high. Was also thinking if getting a quote from Merc Tech as my girlfriend doesn't live far from Battersea.

Thanks all
Ross

At those prices go for the new one assuming its genuine mercedes but first talk to some of the experts on here. I would suggest PCS in Horndean - only 90 mins from central London. They are very highly regarded by everyone on here.

Thanks Jay...will have a look for parts.

At those prices go for the new one assuming its genuine mercedes but first talk to some of the experts on here. I would suggest PCS in Horndean - only 90 mins from central London. They are very highly regarded by everyone on here.

Cheers, I've taken my car to PCS before however this calls for something a bit closer to home.

You can pick up refurbed gearboxes for alot less than the price you have to refurb your current one. w168, w 168, a-class, a class gearbox items - Get great deals on Vehicle Parts Accessories items on eBay UK!

You have to drop the engine to change it so it is a big job. May as well get the best you can afford instead of risking a 2nd hand box.

It is pretty rare to get problems with the manual box on the w168 especially at that mileage.

You havent posted what the exact problem is but you might find some usefull info related to your problem here: http://www.aclassinfo.co.uk/mypage.59.htm

Last edited:
You can pick up refurbed gearboxes for alot less than the price you have to refurb your current one. w168, w 168, a-class, a class gearbox items - Get great deals on Vehicle Parts Accessories items on eBay UK!

You have to drop the engine to change it so it is a big job. May as well get the best you can afford instead of risking a 2nd hand box.

It is pretty rare to get problems with the manual box on the w168 especially at that mileage.

You havent posted what the exact problem is but you might find some usefull info related to your problem here: Bert Rowe's-mercedes-Benz 'A'-class info. Gearbox (Manual) Dumbbell replacement, loss of gears , gear box oil replacement. reverse gear and revering light

Thanks - whatever I get it must be guranteed for a certain period of time - so will bear that in mind.

Also, completely forgot about that website, thanks for reminding me. Having read that page, further investigation might be necessary before replacing it - might be worthwhile.

cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom