W168 steering clicking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Eagle17

Car
A170
I have a 2004 A170 which has started to click when turning the steering at slow speeds. The noise appears to be coming from around the glove box, but cannot be heard from outside the car or under the bonnet. What is causing this?

Its the UJ under the dash.

Look up from your pedals and you will see a UJ , that is unlubricated.

Give it a good smear of moly grease and the grinding will stop.

While you have the moly grease out , do the same for the other UJ under the bonnet on the right hand side that is encased in a rubber gaiter ( this one is also unlubricated )

I did both of ours and the clicking ceased overnight.

.................or try what Howard says first, cheaper too. But thought it was coming from near the glove box..passenger side Howard?

I wondered about that , there isn't anything there , other than as you say the shocks.

I had the same problem on mine though and a couple of good dollops of grease on the UJ's solved it. I wonder if it could be the one in the engine bay , that is behind the glovebox.

Also worth checking the level in the power steering pump , ours was a bit low so i topped it up , but it didn't make any difference really.

I'm intrigued about the things you have though Franey , ours used to clunk , but then failed the MOT on a leaking front shock so we had them replaced , what exactly do your things do ?

They are strut top bearings, the original ones dry up and creak click and collapse.

Very interesting. If it weren't for the "noise appears to be coming from around the glove box" I would have said that it's the spline that needs a bit of grease;

Bert Rowe's-Mercedes-Benz 'A'-class info. Steering height adjustment Steering column, Power steering pump.
2 Slight clicking when you turn the steering wheel left, right, this is not a problem and should not cause the car to fail in any way, including the MOT . However it is annoying and can be over come by greasing/packing the spline which runs between the middle and lower sections of the column.

With regards to the bearings, I thought that simply cleaning them up, greasing them, and then adding the missing ball bearings (I believe it comes with 16 balls and holes for 32) would sort it out? Please let me know if I got this wrong? :)

Oh, and to the threadstarter, please let us know how this issue got fixed. Thanks!

Very interesting. If it weren't for the "noise appears to be coming from around the glove box" I would have said that it's the spline that needs a bit of grease;

Bert Rowe's-Mercedes-Benz 'A'-class info. Steering height adjustment Steering column, Power steering pump.
2 Slight clicking when you turn the steering wheel left, right, this is not a problem and should not cause the car to fail in any way, including the MOT . However it is annoying and can be over come by greasing/packing the spline which runs between the middle and lower sections of the column.

With regards to the bearings, I thought that simply cleaning them up, greasing them, and then adding the missing ball bearings (I believe it comes with 16 balls and holes for 32) would sort it out? Please let me know if I got this wrong? :)

Oh, and to the threadstarter, please let us know how this issue got fixed. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom