W168 - Steering play and wheel off alignment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rossyl

Car
CLK 230K W208 Coupe (1999)(Auto)
Hi All

Hoping you might have a few thoughts on this.

The A210 Evo is still going but it's becoming less driveable.

The steering feels loose. Feels like there's too much play. Hitting a bump at motorway speed seems to upset the car too much.

Also, the alignment has gone well out a couple of times. To drive in a straight line, the steering wheel needs to be a bit off to the right.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

I think a separate issue is brake judder but thought I'd mention just in case

Thanks

Steering rack mounting bushes?

Thanks all

Anyone else got any other thoughts on this at all?

Bert Rowe's-Mercedes-Benz 'A'-class info. Steering height adjustment Steering column, Power steering pump.
Follow this link. Albert Rowes website. Brilliant, yet simple solution to such an irritating issue. You'll need to read down the article about stopping that irritating knocking from the steering column We have 2 A210s both had the same issue. Bit of silicon sealant and it's all gone and is a pleasure to drive again.
Tracking will need to be done though, which is a separate job to set your steering wheel straight again.

Hi All

Hoping you might have a few thoughts on this.

The A210 Evo is still going but it's becoming less driveable.

The steering feels loose. Feels like there's too much play. Hitting a bump at motorway speed seems to upset the car too much.

Also, the alignment has gone well out a couple of times. To drive in a straight line, the steering wheel needs to be a bit off to the right.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

I think a separate issue is brake judder but thought I'd mention just in case

Thanks
Did you get this sorted?

The lower steering joint has seized up due to water ingress. Used to do loads of them. Its the joint under the bonnet that its at a 30 degree angle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom