W169/245 - Electric Power Steering - Replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

xoctm

Car
W169
Hi guys,

My first post here and I'll get straight into business. I'm considering a replacement of ES (for a used one or I might actually try to repair/refurbish mine) on my W169 (1.5, petrol, 2007), I want to do it myself and I'm looking for an advice regarding the whole procedure. I'm trying to understand the torque sensor (not steering angle sensor) calibration process, which appears to be involved. According to WIS procedure (see the attachment), steering coupling should be separated during calibration. Does anyone know why? Is it possible to calibrate the torque sensor without separating the coupling? I read about potentiometer under the plate near the ES motor, but is this method safe? I'd like to avoid separating the coupling, due to how troublesome it may get. Mercedes actually released a reminder for car mechanics regarding this, stressing how easy it is to break the torque sensor in the process. Another question is, is it possible to calibrate the sensor without Star Diagnosis/DAS? I checked various tools available on the internet, but there's never a mention of torque sensor calibration, only steering angle sensor (if any).

I'll appreciate your help.

Regards.

Attachments

• w169.pdf
    384.3 KB · Views: 6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom