W169 A Class 180cdi manual Gbox

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mark270ml

Car
A class
Hi Everyone
My 2005 A Class 180cdi, 6 speed manual has been stood for a long time, with the occasional start up.
I recently went to start it and the battery was flat. I have since charged it up and it is holding charge.
At the moment the car will not start on the key.
The key can be turned to position 3 and nothing happens, the radio doesn't stutter as you would expect at this point.
I have touched the purple wire (starter motor) to the positive battery terminal and again nothing happened. I would think that this indicates a dodgy starter motor.
However that same purple wire is not getting any juice when the key is turned!
I bumped started the car quite easily and let it run for 30 minutes, but it will still not start on the key.
I have read lots of different threads, but seem to be going around in circles, none of them say whether or not the car could be bump started, is this in any way relevant.

What do you think?

All advice is welcome.

TIA

Mark

Flat battery in the key?
Thanks for the advice. Do you think that a flat key battery would still allow the key to turn the ignition on and prime the fuel pump? The remote locking also works well. What do you reckon?

I was going to ask if the remote locking worked, before my reply. Have you tried the spare key ? get the easy options out of the way first.

I was going to ask if the remote locking worked, before my reply. Have you tried the spare key ? get the easy options out of the way first.
Havn't got a spare key.

The battery in the key has nothing to do with the starting system. It is only there to power the remote locking and unlocking signal.

The immobiliser circuit is powered by an induction loop in the steering column.

The battery in the key has nothing to do with the starting system. It is only there to power the remote locking and unlocking signal.

The immobiliser circuit is powered by an induction loop in the steering column.
Thanks, that's what I thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom