W169 A class Wing mirrors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gruddledock

Car
mercedes A class
Can anyone advise me whether it is possible to replace the non-folding wing mirrors on a 2009 W169 A class with electric folding versions without a lot of problems. In other words, do the electric one fit into the existing fittings on the doors and do you know if the wiring loom already has the electric wiring ready fitted?

Geoff.

Hi Geoff and welcome :thumb:

If the door control modules you have in your car, are capable of supporting option 500, then yes, pretty straightforward:

• Replace the mirrors
  • Replace the switch pack
  • Plug the 9-pin connector, (where the 7-pin one was)

If the door modules are not compatible, it gets a bit more involved - trims and door cards out, etc, etc.

Whichever is the case, you'd need someone with STAR and access to MB database, to code the new feature in, and enable say, folding down on locking, etc.

On my previous W169 I was quoted £1100 to replace fixed mirrors with folding by main dealer...so next time took care to get them as an option from new!

Yeah, silly prices to retrofit them, even when using parts from breakers:

• Folding mirrors (facelift): £320 - £400 a pair (even S-class ones are cheaper!).
  • LED indicator lights (almost always damaged on used mirrors) - £55 a pair from MB.
  • Switch pack: £70-£100 for a good condition used one. More, if from Germany.
  • STAR update: about £120.

So, there you have it - about £650 and that's assuming the door modules are okay to handle option 500, and doing the work myself.

And then, most likely, a re-spray...

I looked into that a few times, and put it off for now - just not worth it for me.

In fact, I just bought, and promptly returned for a refund, a switch pack (it was £50, so I was tempted) - windows buttons would not go to auto-closure (secondary click UP) and the seller played dumb for a bit - not a pleasant experience.

Mirrors

Ouch - many thanks for the information probably forget it for now but details filed away.

Of interest a new key for the A class is now £285 from MB - a real rip-off.

Geoff

Glad it was useful.

The key - if not a replacement for a missing one - can be repaired, particularly if the innards are okay and only the case is damaged. The pre-facelift case can be had for a couple of pounds from AliExpress or £4-£5 from eBay, the facelift one is probably not much more.

It is then a matter of removing and re-inserting the PCB and locking it correctly.

Sometimes a coil or/and contact switches need to be replaced, these are also available, and not terribly expensive.

I have replaced one of the cases - it was tatty and had a small crack, when I bought the car - now, over two years on, it still looks like new.

No, unfortunately the key is missing completely so it may well end up as a new one from MB - must increase the mortgage!

Geoff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom