W169 A150 oil filter 0-rings

Discussion in 'Engine' started by tonysmb, Oct 11, 2011.

1. tonysmb

tonysmb Active Member

Car:
    MB
    I have just changed the oil on my 2008 A150 and the filter (Mahle) was supplied with 2 rubber O-rings, the large one for the outside of the canister , and a smaller one.

The old filter only seems to have the one large O-ring on it. I cannot see where the new one would fit and it is too big to be for the dipstick.

Anybody any ideas please??

2. OP
    OP
    tonysmb

tonysmb Active Member

Car:
    MB
    Well, this is a first for me, answering my own question ;)

Visited my local independent today, who advised that the second o-ring is for the extended plastic 'arm', for want of a better term, that protrudes through the centre of the filter, as per the W168. Not all have them.

Mine has a metal spring in the centre of the filter housing, which the filter then fits over - and this doesn't need the second o-ring.

Updated for info. of others.

3. dulayj

dulayj Active Member

Car:
    A 210/Volvo XC90
    that should be helpful for 169 owners!

4. sjanisz

sjanisz New Member

Car:
    A150
    Hi There,
    Yours didn't also have a plastic 'top hat' plug in the end of the filter element did it ? I have just helped a colleague do an oil / filter change on his A150 and he had this plug in th old filter along with a sprung centre spigot similar (or indeed exactly) as you describe

Stefan