W169 A160 Cdi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shude

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
CLK55 AMG
Had one as a courtesy car today.

You know what? It's not all bad! :eek:

Slowest car EVER, seems well screwed together, comes with all the features found in the saloon models, rides quite smoothly, certainly looks alright. Commanding driving position too.

I know the W168 took some heat over various issues but I reckon the new A is a great little car.

Attachments

• a160cdi.jpg
    a160cdi.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 256
It came with about 1/8 of a tank left in it, I put £10 of diesel in, this was a mistake! Was about half a tank! Something like 200+ miles range with that lot in, I only intended to do about 80 miles!

Parked up at work, was amazed to see this, dispite the heavy traffic (90% of my journey is motorway, check the speed and time taken etc). I reckon it would easily bust 65mpg on a smooth run at moderate speeds.

Attachments

• a160cdimpg.jpg
    a160cdimpg.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 252
Why does the speedo read to 160 mph ? ;)

Howard said:
Why does the speedo read to 160 mph ? ;)
No idea, I had trouble getting the thing up to 60mph let alone 160. It actually went ok when it was wound-up though.

Yes, I have been very impressed with ours. lots of features and feels like a much bigger car. The 160CDI is a real slug though. I think the 180CDI is a much better bet if you want a diesel, or for smoothness a 170 petrol. The 170 is quite nippy as well as being reasonably economical.

I had the old shape A-Class courtesy car last year, and no disrespect to A-Class owners, but it was awful, worst build quality & feel than my Mk1 Mondeo - & it was a 52'reg Facelift, god knows what the pre-facelift was like :crazy:

Yes, I agree, the old A class (W168) was awful. But the new model (W169) launched early 2005 is in a different league altogether. Try to get a go in one, you will be pleasantly surprised.

I agree--had a 180CDi CVT: drive was good, and very roomy (though wind noise at 60mph). Interior build quality was same as a 2005 Mondeo: very good. But the CVT 'box was simply awful: amazed it got past MB testing. But then it serves a different market I suppose.

I forgot to add my only complaint with the new a-class 3-door: look to blindspot on left of car: lots of glass and slim pillars so loads of visibility. Look to blindspot on right of car: door pillar and head restraint so NO visibility. On the right there truly is a blind spot where you have NO chance of seeing anything. Proper mirror adjustment and attention is vital!

Our new B class will be delivered on Monday. 200CDI Autotronic; to be used as my wife's car but we will probably also try it on some medium size journeys. She preferred the larger boot and the general spaciousness seems impressive. Will give driving and usage impressions as and when but our priorities are comfort, safety, reliability. Our performance requirements are that it cruises easily and quietly at motorway speeds and that it has adequate acceleration for most traffic conditions.

My wifes A180 CDI is great. Nips around, very solid and miles better than the old A class. In terms of quality it is much more solid feeling than my E. And it manages 45-50mpg.
When I ordered I was advised against the CVT gearbox as the salesperson said it was utter crap:crazy: Luckily my wife prefered the manual.

I've just got a A180CDI - decided the A160CDI was too underpowered (and i'd never drive it, have a couple of V8s in the family) - and the A200CDI too expensive for what isnt meant to be the main family transportation device.

What is *really* annoying is all 3 models have the same 2Litre block - its just the software in the engine control unit that is different .....

At least between the A160 and A180 you get a better manual box - but if you opt for auto (like I did) then you are only getting different software for a stack of cash, and I wasnt going to pay double to get 2 software upgrades ....

Of course you can't just go buy the A200CDI ECU and put it in, it needs a magic code (called a SCN code) which some computer deep in German headquarters spews out depending on how it thinks your car was built - or it wont talk to the ignition switch or keys, and the SCN code on a A180CDI is not the same for the A200CDI ECU (asked a friendly ex MB tech!)

Cheers

Richard

When I go to Spain/Portugal later this year I reckon I will hire one of these, it's the 5 Door/Auto don't know what cc. Last time I went I hired a Renault Modus Diesel, I tell you what, not a bad car at all! Was quite pleased seeing we do quite a bit of mileage, about 3000km in 2 weeks.

2 weeks for the 'A' Class is just over 500 Euro's all in. Quite fair I thought.

Here's the photo they show, I'm not too clued up on 'A' Classes, I presume it's the new one? :confused:

Cheers, Bill.
:)

Last edited:
richard said:
Of course you can't just go buy the A200CDI ECU and put it in, it needs a magic code (called a SCN code) which some computer deep in German headquarters spews out depending on how it thinks your car was built - or it wont talk to the ignition switch or keys, and the SCN code on a A180CDI is not the same for the A200CDI ECU (asked a friendly ex MB tech!)

Very annoying ... same as what they had previously done with the C Classes (C200 / C230 etc). I'm sure they'll do a 200 CDI upgrade for less than £2k at some point in the future ;)

Well - hope I'll be happy with the B180 CDI Auto that I've just ordered. How are you getting along with the CVT ... I have read very mixed reviews ... most of my driving is motorway so as long as it will cruise along happily and kickdown works, not too worried about the lower end. Just don't want to have to use a clutch in jams, and although it was the manual that I test drove, and was very impressed with, I didn't think I'd be able to live with it long term.

S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom