W169 Armrest - slight play - remedies?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GLK

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
The W169 armrest is not a pinnacle of Mercedes engineering, I am sorry to say:

34053146351_74b6dc304f_o.jpg

It has almost zero functionality, particularly for a RHD car (as Mercedes didn't bother to reverse the layout); doesn't open, so no useable storage underneath; moves forward 2½" to reveal a tiny 1" x 3" cub, and in doing so displays an appalling design flaw:

33799543270_ddb1a46a3b_o.jpg

The plastic groove / metal pin tolerances are huge, and there's a noticeable play - very annoying.

Unfortunately, fixing it in 'forward' position is not an option, as it has to move back, to allow access to the parking brake (for adjustment, etc, not for normal operation, so was tempted...)

I have just removed the top to have it leather trimmed, and was wondering if anyone can suggest, what can be done, to rectify this problem.

Last edited:
They couldn't even be bothered to reverse the letters on the gear selector... :D

True, and those flip-open covers on keypads on newer cars, until you get to S / CL, then they suddenly know which side the driver's on!. Who in their right mind thought it's okay for the cover to flip up towards the user - what is the point of a keypad, if one has to use a mirror to see the keys?

To be honest, Mercedes has always been arrogant towards RHD customers, ever since they moved the steering to the left that it - some lovely RHD early models in Stuttgart museum :D

True, and those flip-open covers on keypads on newer cars, until you get to S / CL, then they suddenly know which side the driver's on!. Who in their right mind thought it's okay for the cover to flip up towards the user - what is the point of a keypad, if one has to use a mirror to see the keys?

To be honest, Mercedes has always been arrogant towards RHD customers, ever since they moved the steering to the left that it - some lovely RHD early models in Stuttgart museum :D

Haha yeh, oh well :)

Can't think if any other car I'd want haha

Just to update - following the armrest re-trim by Jack at the Royal Steering Wheels, to match the gearshift handle and the steering wheel he did earlier, I managed to rectify the problem, without having to completely disassemble the base: a combination of a felt strip, gentle adjustment of plastic rails (ends pushed closer, whilst heated), and some lithium grease solved the issue.

34923027033_180c9c3d86_o.jpg

35692659546_0541b111c6_o.jpg

Happy with the result :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom