W169 Auto Transmission Fault

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wongl

MB Enthusiast
Car
A180CDI, B200d, C300h, SLK250
So finally one of my three W169 starting developing an intermittent transmission fault with the dreaded Visit Workshop message being thrown up on the console. Although the fault can be cleared by switching off and restarting the car, it was causing an annoyance to me.

A Star diagnostic revealed the dreaded PRM fault as documented on the ECUTesting.com website. I decided to get Steve to drain the transmission and remove the transmission ECU so that I can send it off to ECUTesting.com for testing/repair.

Having sent it off on the Friday (1st May) before the Bank Holiday Monday, I received the transmission ECU back this morning all fixed. Mentioning Lofty's page got me a 10% (or was it 15% as the site said 10%, but ECUTesting told me it was 15% but the invoice said 10%) discount.

Very well packaged - very impressed. Will be heading back down to Steve on Friday to get this reinstalled and hopefully back on the road. Will also be getting Steve to retrofit the Linguatronic (voice activation) stalk to complement the NTG 2.5 sat nav. Will report back after

Here are a couple of photos of the transmission ECU being returned from ECUTesting.com.

Attachments

• Transmission ECU.jpg
    Transmission ECU.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 65
  • Transmission ECU box.jpg
    Transmission ECU box.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 66
Steve Garlick installed my transmission ECU today and so far the car is running without the random transmission fault message. So far so good, but only time will time if ECUTesting.com has successfully fixed the random fault.

Also got Steve to install the linguatronic stalks in both my W169 A-Classes. Interesting to note that one worked straight away without coding, but the second didn't. The second unit is missing a Linguatronic menu in the system menu so looks like the unit needs to be coded. Only thing is, despite having a Star with developer mode, I can see the variant coding of the unit, but there doesn't seemed to be a developer mode menu to alter the NTG2.5 coding!

It has been a week since the repair and re-install of the transmission ECU to my W169, and so far I have not seen the dreaded 'Transmission Fault' message. Fingers crossed that between ECUTesting.com and Steve Garlic, they have successfully and permanently fixed my transmission problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom