W169 bike rack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

torque

I recently bought a new W169 (A180CDi 5 door) for my wife.

We now want a tailgate mounted cycle rack and after much research I have only found two options: the MB cycle rack (B6 685 1104) at £304 or Thule ClipOn High 9106 at around £100.

I have previous experience on another car of a Thule ClipOn High rack damaging the rear bumper where the lower brackets dig in when it’s loaded with two bikes. I also have concerns about the need to disable the rear wiper when the rack is fitted.

I have therefore concluded that the MB rack might be best for our purposes but before buying one (at £304!) I would like to check some details. Unfortunately the only details I’ve been able to get to date (after contacting MB direct, my local dealer and searching Google) is the picture used in the A Class accessories brochure and this does not answer my concerns.

Has anyone got one or seen the rear mounted bike rack for a W169? If so could you answer the following?

Does the rack mount without the need to having brackets permanently fixed to the vehicle? (I understand the rack for a W168 has permanent brackets fitted to the car)

Does the rack fold flat when not in use?

Does it foul the rear wiper when mounted on the car?

Any information, fitting instructions or photos would appreciated.

By the way my local dealer is only prepared to order a rack with full payment and no refund!

Thanks in anticipation.

PS. I may have bought the car for my wife, but I’m quite taken by it and have been using it regularly myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom