W169 Blowers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ldare

Car
2007 R320 CDI Sport / 2003 270ML CDI Inspiration
hi
I have a 2006 w169 and am not really able to demist the windscreen. After 30mins only have done. I dont have aircon, the controls seem to work, the fan on speed 5 sounds strong and and when I turn the knob to the various positions a strong force of warm air is felt on every setting but windscreen, where its limp.

Is this a common issue? What could be causing this?

Thanks

Hi mate. Make sure when you have it on demist mode you close all the vents that provide air to your face. This should direct more air to the screen.

Reactions: GLK
Sounds as if you may have a problem with the motorised diverter flap/s inside the heater unit. Not an easy fix sorry.

If you're seeing excessive misting, I'd check the drain holes - each side of the windscreen, and below the cabin filter.

If you're seeing excessive misting, I'd check the drain holes - each side of the windscreen, and below the cabin filter.
Hi
Opened up and checked the cabin filter. Its sat in a puddle of water which I guess is the issue. I put my hand in the pool but couldnt really feel anything blocked? What am I looking/feeling for? Is it in the area of the filter or elsewhere? Thanks so much

Hi
Opened up and checked the cabin filter. Its sat in a puddle of water which I guess is the issue. I put my hand in the pool but couldnt really feel anything blocked? What am I looking/feeling for? Is it in the area of the filter or elsewhere? Thanks so much
There's a drain in the centre of the cabin filter compartment, at the bottom.

Have a look at Lofty's page here: Bert Rowe, Lofty's homepage. A-class info W169, Activated carbon filter, Location Replace,

Good job you caught it in time - the water can seep through into the cabin, and if it gets to SAM or other electronics, all sorts of seemingly unrelated problems will appear.

There's a drain in the centre of the cabin filter compartment, at the bottom.

Have a look at Lofty's page here: Bert Rowe, Lofty's homepage. A-class info W169, Activated carbon filter, Location Replace,

Good job you caught it in time - the water can seep through into the cabin, and if it gets to SAM or other electronics, all sorts of seemingly unrelated problems will appear.
Thank you so so much!!!! Unblocked and all water has gone. Checked the battery, it was sat in water!! Ive soaked it up. Is there anywhere else electrical the water could have got to?

Thanks so much!

Thank you so so much!!!! Unblocked and all water has gone. Checked the battery, it was sat in water!! Ive soaked it up. Is there anywhere else electrical the water could have got to?

Thanks so much!

Not at all. So glad it you caught it!

If you have a telephone pre-wire, the UHI (Universal Handy (German for 'mobile') Interface) unit sits under the driver's seat - I'd check that.

There's a [relatively] low ground point in the left passenger's door frame (towards front of the car) - if it gets rusty, you get the usual 'bad earth' errors.
If you pull the round trim at the bottom off a bit, you'll see it. The similar one on the right is about an inch higher, if I'm not mistaken. I can send you a pic, if you need.

The SAM unit is under the glove box, but as you have no warnings, etc, it's probably okay, and it's quite a bit higher anyway.

Different source of water ingress, but since you're on the subject - check the spare wheel well, under the carpet.
If it's wet, it's the seal around opening(s) in the bumper:

31818270291_d8919c471e_o.jpg

31818270391_8290e91f7a_o.jpg

PS This is NOT my car :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom