W169 CVT or manual

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scot22

Car
mercedes a class 2012
Although I would probably prefer an auto there are not so many about. Also I've read conflicting views on CVT.

I would welcome advice on CVT for example -

If there are problems ( depends on the problem ! ) can it be repaired ?
If not, how much could I expect to pay for a new auto gearbox ?
How much might it cost for a new manual gearbox ?

Also any general comments re driving experience very much appreciated.

Diesel is not under consideration : mileage only around 10,000 very much steady driving within limits and minimal motorway, if any.

Help much appreciated.

We have a 2010 A160 diesel CVT

It's very slow, but belongs to my wife and she loves it. We've not had any problems with the gearbox, in fact I'm not sure there are any real known problems with the later model W169 cars, they seem to be pretty well screwed together and robust. I read a lot of forums and I've not come across any recurring issues. Earlier W169s can have rusty doors but the welded seams were changed mid 2006 and it's easy to tell if a car is vulnerable to the problem.

The older W168 a-class cars seemed to get a bad reputation which was inherited by the W169, unjustly as far as I can tell.

I had a Nisan Primera for 11 years with CVT. A bit slow to respond, very reliable, I think is made by JATCO. Japanese Auto Tranmissions

Thanks for the quick and helpful replies. Another forum BabyBenz is not very active. Pleased I joined this one !

I was concerned about the CVT box, it was noisy a bit of a hum, and occasionally refused to change ratio. After complaining to Mercedes they eventually changed the gearbox oil early at 30,000 miles, now it has quietened down and behave impeccably. my wife loves it. I shall be changing the oil at less than 30k intervals. Apart from the low body height and what appears to be a congested engine layout I like it too. We are not going to continue with Mercedes servicing and I changed the oil and filter early. I have a feeling that maintenance will not prove too bad when I have learnt to strip things out to gain access.

We have 3 diesel W169 in our family, all with the CVT gearbox. The oldest is a 2006 with 88,000 miles on the clock, been serviced by a local non-mercedes garage once out of its warranty period. If the service history is correct, the CVT gearbox oil was changed every year! Absolutely no problems with the CVT gearbox on this car at all - just some rust beginning to appear at the door sills (around the old sealant).

The second oldest is a late 2008 face-lift model with 80,000. Full history with main-dealer but as far as I can tell it has never had its CVT gearbox oil changed since leaving the factory. Again no issues with the CVT gearbox - it seems to have a later firmware and doesn't rev as much as the 2006 model (especially when going down a hill with the right foot off the gas pedal).

The last one is a 2010 with only 13,000 on the clock - again no problems with the CVT gearbox on this car.

My advice is to go for a face-lift model if you can. It is slightly more refined than the earlier model (but only when you drive the two models side by side).

Thanks again. I really appreciate the knowledgeable and clear posts. Its given me a feeling of confidence. For various reasons life is very hectic but hope for success soon in finding my ideal A class W169 post facelift.
Hope new reg increases number of used. Will post when bought the car.

Dont know about the CVT but I had until recently a W169 A160 Avantgarde and it was manual. The gearbox was smooth and easy even when cold and we were super happy with it during the 3 years of ownership. My wife loved it but I decided for something newer and a big bigger.
The W169/160 Manual is so good that we did not actually get rid of it.. Its now with my parents for the last month or so and they love it. My mom prefers automatics but she was so pleased with the manual gearbox. It was better than she expected

At the end is your decision. Is the Automatic/CVT very important? If it is then go for it either wise be open and get the best possible car you can find and I believe there a bit more manual petrols than CVTs

Regards

Theo

Yet again an extremely help post. I could not have hoped for better responses to my OP. Definitely petrol post facelift A class choice of auto/manual based on best buy.

Other important things are in the way for next two weeks. Search will recommence and I will definitely post the outcome. I'll be a regular site visitor/contributor.

Thanks again for the posts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom