W169 Eco Stop/Start query...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ptruman

Car
No longer a Merc!
Lo there,

Following my year of owning a CLS, the wife & I have just acquired an '09 plate W169 A Class (A150 Avantgarde SE BlueEfficiency).

Just wanted to check the Start/Stop function as the manual with the car differs a bit to the latest W169 manual from the Merc website.

Starting the car - clutch has to be depressed/in, otherwise it won't start when turned to position III. The manual with the car doesn't imply that, but the latest one does.

When we've been driving, the Eco light has been green, A/C has been off, but pulling to lights and stopping, shifting to neutral and keeping the brake on, the engine doesn't cut out/auto stop. Is there anything we need to do/check?

(engine has been warm, fuel tank is full, battery appears fine, surface was flat/car level, all seat belts on and doors locked)

Ta! :)

No replies? Blimey.

Checked voltage. Off the car reads 12.2V ish. After starting it slowly goes up to 14.5V and then goes back to 12.6V

The green light goes out before the voltage gets to 14...

Main battery under seat reads 12.5V and aux battery in boot reads 13.3V

Does that sound OK to everyone? Or is the voltage supposed to stay at 14.5? My CLS does but isn't an eco engine....

Quite possible :) 170 views though, so I suspect I just have new car impatience :)

Mie is temperamental but does work when Id expect it to but not always.
Does the eco sign stay green or go amber when you stop. On mine it can show green but go to amber when I stop.

Green until ignition on, then goes out a few seconds later. Didn't notice yesterday when on motorway but did today!

Interestingly I note that when coasting the voltage goes to 14.5 but on accelerating goes to 12.5

ptruman said:
Interestingly I note that when coasting the voltage goes to 14.5 but on accelerating goes to 12.5
On my Kia with stop/start, there is no charging when the car accelerates so that there is no additional engine load

Well no change as yet - although we've flagged it to the dealer who will be coming back with a course of action. Yay for warranty.

In the interim, I found this page which is quite informative...

AutoHex diagnostic scanner and information about Mercedes benz 169 - 245 ECO Start system

As & when any progress is made, I'll update! Hopefully it's something simple like a duff (and easily accessible/replaceable) sensor :)

Typical :)

Yesterday I rang the garage.

Today we drove to visit in laws. Eco light out as it has been. Stopped to get fuel. Filled up. Reset all three trip clocks. Started car, Eco light goes out again. Leave car at in laws for 4 hours. Get in car, start it and drive off. Notice Eco light is on and staying on....

About 5 miles down the road, the [ECO] display in the display comes on! And when we finally get to a junction, it says "N->", we shift into N and the engine cuts out. And restarted when the clutch went in!

Done nothing differently - have had the air con on and off today. 2nd time we've filled it up (both times with 98RON unleaded). Will have to wait and see if it behaves for a few days now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom