W169 ice radio wiring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Carabind

Car
W212
Hope please has anyone got a diagram showing the wiring and colours of the ice wiring going into the standard radio
reason I ask is that I’m trying to pick up a ignition feed to power a dab aerial amplifier

Standard radio is not on circuit (aka "terminal") 15 or 15R, it is in fact on circuit 30, with various trigger signals (via QuadLock from CANbus and SAM, etc), so if you hook your amplifier to the power wire going to the radio, you're guaranteed a flat battery every morning.

Plenty of easily accessible sources of ignition on (15R) to pick your power source: fuse tap on front power socket fuse (38) is the best, in my opinion, just use an appropriate inline fuse for your gadget.

Standard radio is not on circuit (aka "terminal") 15 or 15R, it is in fact on circuit 30, with various trigger signals (via QuadLock from CANbus and SAM, etc), so if you hook your amplifier to the power wire going to the radio, you're guaranteed a flat battery every morning.

Plenty of easily accessible sources of ignition on (15R) to pick your power source: fuse tap on front power socket fuse (38) is the best, in my opinion, just use an appropriate inline fuse for your gadget.
Many thanks David
Found it, buried in my footwell .
I guess the surrounding fuses are also ignition powered. I have run out of time today, but guess I can unbolt the fuse box to lift it out slightly to see underneath it to splice my wire in?

No worries, glad to help :)
There's no need to do anything as drastic as fuse box removal - I had tons of gadgets in my old A200 C169 and never ever touched the mounting bolts of the fuse box ;)
Not all fuses are on 15/15R, some on 30 (so always on) - here's a full chart, with detailed info - unlike the brief consumer version, which you can find next to the fuse box.

All you need is a fuse tap - plenty on eBay for a few quid a set.

50760339012_984805f115_o.jpg

Attachments

• 169 Fuse assignment of fuse box in interior compartment.pdf
    66.1 KB · Views: 12
I didn’t know these existed! Have ordered one . Ta David

Reactions: GLK
Very handy little gizmos - I even came up with a way to use it "upside-down" to alternate between a "normal" power socket and a "permanently on" one, when I wanted to keep a solar charger plugged in, to prevent the battery going flat, when the car was parked at Heathrow car park (I used to travel across the pond for a good few weeks at a time) - worked perfectly well, here's a sketch:

35527256835_b0299c2257_h.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom