W169 Powerfold mirror turn signal issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobtheminion

Car
A180 cdi 2.0 2008
Good evening and and hi!

I’m so sorry to post, especially being so late to this party after seeing the threads from 2009! I’m trying to get my mums A180 MOT ready without having to spend a fortune on getting the mirrors sorted - last year we paid over £1000 for the gear box to be refurbed as it threw a wobbler! Even more depressing was finding out that our local MB dealer, who the vehicle had been serviced with since new, had never replaced the diesel filter nor the air filter... quite amazed at how these filters, being over 10 years old, still allowed the car to run; albeit it not very well! Since replacing them, it’s like a new car!

I’ve seen some references to a post about fixing the wires within the mirror, but the links pointing to posts don’t seem to exist anymore. After being well and truly spanked by MB in the past, it’s time for some DIY!

Can anyone point me in the right direction for how I can try and fix it? Unfortunately the issue has now spread to both mirrors, so I’m sure I’ll have a lot of fun this weekend

Wires get brittle and break in folding mirrors, resulting in various functions, i.e. turn indicators; heating; positioning and folding itself misbehaving.

Easy to fix, and once done, protect them with self-amalgamating silicone tape, or at least a generous wrap with standard Tesa tape.

Wires get brittle and break in folding mirrors, resulting in various functions, i.e. turn indicators; heating; positioning and folding itself misbehaving.

Easy to fix, and once done, protect them with self-amalgamating silicone tape, or at least a generous wrap with standard Tesa tape.
Mirrors not folding/heating should not be an MOT failure. If the turn signal is not working, need to check if it is the turn signal itself or the wiring. If the wiring, then here is a temporary fix.

1. Disable the mirror folding with the door lock feature (to prevent the mirror from folding every time the doors are locked).
2. Fold the door mirrors using the button on the driver's door mirror control panel and put on the hazard lights. Physically poke around the exposes wires with your fingers (nothing sharp that can cut or puncture the wires). Keep poking around until the turn signal starts flashing at which point stop poking the wires.
3. Repeat the other side if necessary.
4. Unfold the mirrors using the button on the driver's door mirror control panel.

With some luck, both turn signals on the door mirrors will continue to function in their unfolded position. Avoid folding the mirrors and with luck, the car should pass its MOT.

I managed to get my W245 in HK to pass its MOT here with this trick to buy me time to secure a second folding mirror from eBay for a more permanent fix. Fixing broken wires is tricky and likely to break again at the same places in the future in my experience.

Good luck.

Reactions: GLK
Thank you so much! I will have a look.

I replaced the light in the mirror around 8 months ago, at the time time I looked at the wires and simply wobbled them, luckily it solved the issue but now there is no power to any function of the mirror including heater, light or motor so I can only assume it is the wiring.

By any chance does anyone have a guide on getting to the wires to try and fix them? also, can I retrofit non power-food in direct replacement of the power folding ones?
Apologies for so many questions!

By any chance does anyone have a guide on getting to the wires to try and fix them? also, can I retrofit non power-food in direct replacement of the power folding ones?
Apologies for so many questions!
Well I installed electrically folding mirrors to my W169 that had manual mirrors installed at the factory, so I would imagine the reverse should be possible too. But beware, manual mirrors do not fold manually, instead, they break when folded!

Well the good news is that the door mirrors are not covered by the MOT, especially if they are folded out, and you cant fold them it, many new cars are fitted with mirrors that dont fold.
If you still want to fix the mirror wiring, and yours are anything like the ones fitted to my S-Class, then thats the bad news, because the wires are all Black!
Quite surprised on how much a pair of used electric mirrors are on Ebay, so may be worth seeking out a scrap yard if you dont fancy doing the wiring yourself.
You can fit manual mirrors, its not illegal, but seeing as you have all the wiring installed...
If you are OK at soldering, its worth a shot, but be warned, the wires in my mirrors were in pieces when I bought the car.
But even then, its only a case of hit or miss, the worst you can do is blow a fuse, unless you do something really silly.

can I retrofit non power-food in direct replacement of the power folding ones?
I'd offer you mine to swap (I even have a camera in the left mirror), but they are pre-facelift - smaller rounded shape ... :(

I’m almost there! I’ve now found the actual break but it’s in the worst positioned place ever!

I have the mirror off but the break is in the mirror of the bend around the power folder motor. Does anyone know how I can separate the hinge for access inside of the actual mirror? I’ve taken out every screw I can find to no avail.
I’ve attached a photo to show the location. 92F16763-5AC6-4F3D-8B32-062CFB150181.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom