w169 timing chain tensioner - possibly

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John Sessions

Car
Merc
A180 CDI. This morning we had what I hope is just a chain tensioner failure at 62K. Sound like a bag of spanners rev dependent. Had just previously thought I noticed a slight "whine", but it wasn't clear and was intermittent.

Anyway, limped back carefully to my local indep chap and left it with him as it's not driveable.

Questions - 1. tensioner change = big job? Engine out?

2. Just changing tensioner good idea, or should do whole sher-bang of chain and all pulleys etc at the same time?

All wisdom welcome as ever - cheers.

Last edited:
Well, after a long saga, turns out that it's not just the tensioner but the belt too - badly worn. In the process of trying to get it done for less than an arm and leg - £3k from main stealer, down to £1,500 cheapest indie at the mo. Unless I can get it done for under a grand, it's scrap. Which will save me having to do the rust again, on the bright side.

So much for fit for life non serviceable item.

It's usually neglect that causes these sort of problems. Not saying its on your part, just in general

John Sessions said:
How do you neglect a timing chain? It's got a FSH and only 62K on it?

1. Lack of oil changes.
2. Lack of engine oil top ups/level
3. Poor quality oil
4. False mileage

Well, after a long saga, turns out that it's not just the tensioner but the belt too - badly worn. In the process of trying to get it done for less than an arm and leg - £3k from main stealer, down to £1,500 cheapest indie at the mo. Unless I can get it done for under a grand, it's scrap. Which will save me having to do the rust again, on the bright side.

So much for fit for life non serviceable item.

How old is the car?

BlackC55 said:
1. Lack of oil changes. 2. Lack of engine oil top ups/level 3. Poor quality oil 4. False mileage

All of the above + mixing oils or swapping from one to another, it's amazing how many people including some garages don't know if the car in question should be run on fully syn or semi syn get it wrong and it's a potential chain killer.

It's a prestige car so best to treat it as such skimping on quality oils and back street service is just asking for disaster and it will come back to bite you.

Unfortunately unless the car you are buying has full MB Industry or an MB Indie history it's a bit of a lottery as to what's gone on in the previous service schedules

John Sessions said:
A Class Merc. Prestige car. Interesting.....

All MB are prestige are they not? Not as though it's not a Barry Boy Corsa or Fiesta is it?

flango said:
All MB are prestige are they not? Not as though it's not a Barry Boy Corsa or Fiesta is it?

My Corsa I drove in Germany was an ace little car. It wasn't rusty, the trim didn't fall off,it never had airbag problems and didn't fall over on its side when the motoring press first Elk tested it :)

06 W169 on 62,000 miles is below average miles. Does it have full service history? Are you able to verify its mileage via its MOT/Service history?

If mileage is genuine and it has been regularly serviced, then you probably have a lemon and best to let it go.

06 W169 on 62,000 miles is below average miles. Does it have full service history? Are you able to verify its mileage via its MOT/Service history?

If mileage is genuine and it has been regularly serviced, then you probably have a lemon and best to let it go.

Yes to both.

You are probably right. I'd rather put it down to more of the joys of MB ownership - the rust, leaking rear washer that shagged the rear lock, the non-working door locks and the suspension problems and the woeful dealer attutude, but perhaps this really is exceptional.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom