W176 new A -CLASS WINS BEAUTY CONTEST

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I sat in one in our local showroom on Friday when our C class was in for a recall.

My impressions were as follows:-

1. Huge departure from the previous A class - in fact absolutely nothing in common other than the name.

2. Well put together, nice design and had the feel of a premium car about it.

3. Plenty of room in the front.

4. Room in the back for two adults but you wouldn't want to be driving to Paris in it.

5. Boot is reasonable for the size of the car - It is a very nice second car, but unless you're young and single or a young couple with no need to shift people or stuff you'd need something with a bit more space.

6. How much! The model in the showroom was described as an A250 AMG. It was £35, 000. You've got to be bonkers to pay £35,000 for what is effectively a Golf sized car! How Much!

Boss, is your keyboard defective?

Seriously Boss, what new cars do you like? you seem to hate all new MB models...? :dk:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder ! ( yes I have a new A Class AMG Sport !)
As for cost of the Engineered by AMG model it compares to the Golf R and to get to £35k ths one must have had every option going.

Mocas that sounds like more than the "proper AMG" 4WD thats just around the corner !

Mocas that sounds like more than the "proper AMG" 4WD thats just around the corner !

No, I priced up an A250 on the 'configurator' when we were discussing the A45 on another thread recently, to see whether £35,000 model at Hughes had every option fitted; it clearly didn't. This led me to conclude that a fully-specced A45 would be pretty close to £50,000.

Seriously Boss, what new cars do you like? you seem to hate all new MB models...? :dk:

you know.. funnily enough i had this very discussion with someone the other day.. and we discussed, if money was no object, which of the current Mercedes range would i buy..i came up with:

smart fortwo - yes
new a class - no
c class saloon/estate - no
c class coupe - no
CLA - hell no
facelift e class saloon/estate - no
facelift e class coupe/cabrio - no
CLS - no
CLS shootingbreak - no
SLK - never
SL - HELL NO
S class - maybe
S coupe - maybe
new ML - no
new GL - no
G WAGON - hell YES YES YES
C CLASS COUPE AMG - YES
C CLASS SALOON AMG - NO
C CLASS ESTATE AMG - NO
new E CLASS SALOON AMG - NO
new E CLASS ESTATE AMG - NO
new e class coupe/CABRIO AMG - YES IF THEY MADE ON
S CLASS AMG - NO
S COUPE AMG - YES
SL AMG - NO
GL AMG - YES
ML AMG - YES
G-WAGON AMG - YES
CLS AMG - YES
SLS - obviously YES

anyway, most of the mainstream ranges now do not appeal to me today..

they have a mono form that they seem to blur into each other, and their bonnet top emblem is part of the charm on the car.. its nice to have a frontal bullet line point..

Rolls Royce do, and Mercedes do, but slowly its becoming bonnet integrated, and thus its not for me..

bmw design language appeals on the interiors, audi interiors are very stylish but audi again has such a blur between the ranges, and BMW is fairly distinct except for their 3 and 5 are now too similar....

the new 3 series is very appealing though...

today you need texture and unique materials, and all mercedes are doing is putting in plastic left right and centre..

id rather they made the brand a little more exclusive than it is.. i mean u pay a premium for a badge that no longer has a premium feel... what is that about??!!

At the Brooklands GTG. Charles hit the ail on the head, when he said they have copied the BMW Z4 and that didn't work either.

My results as follows.. :)

smart fortwo - no
new a class - no
c class saloon/estate - no
c class coupe - no - as with E coupe, too small inside
CLA - hell no
facelift e class saloon/estate - no
facelift e class coupe/cabrio - love the shape, but too small inside for me
CLS - yes please!
CLS shootingbreak - yes
SLK - maybe... (but prefer R170! :)
SL - no, but I like the shape
S class - maybe
S coupe - maybe
new ML - no
new GL - no
G WAGON - yes, but only to pose! :)
C CLASS COUPE AMG - no
C CLASS SALOON AMG - NO
C CLASS ESTATE AMG - NO
new E CLASS SALOON AMG - NO
new E CLASS ESTATE AMG - NO
new e class coupe/CABRIO AMG - no, sadly too narrow for me inside
S CLASS AMG - NO
S COUPE AMG - no
SL AMG - NO
GL AMG - no
ML AMG - no
G-WAGON AMG - no
CLS AMG - YES
SLS - Oh YES!

Some similarities but I'm just not a fan of SUVs, however quick or iconic they are! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom