W201 190E Magnetic Fan Clutch Relay

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB_mark

Car
1990 190E 2.5-16
Hi All,
I've got a 1991 W201 190E 2.0 Auto, and the magnetic clutch on the radiator cooling fan is engaged all the time, as soon as you turn the key you here a click as it engages....even if you pull the plug off the temperature switch it still remains engaged, the only way to stop it is to either remove the fuse or disconnect it.

It says on the wiring diagram schematic there is "dual contact relay" which energises when the temperature switch closes and I'm sure this relay is causing the problem, but I'll be damned if I can find it!:confused: It's not in the main fusebox (there's no aux fuse box ) it's not near the OVP, ECU etc, I've taken the dash lower panels down and it's not in there either.
Has anyone has any ideas where it lives....MB is usually so ordered when it comes to placing relays, but this one is eluding me!:confused:

Thanks in advance,
Mark.:)

Hi Guys,

Just for the record, there is NO fan relay on a UK W201 190E, which doesn't have aircon. The postive wire comes directly from fuse No.10 in the fusebox, through the temp switch and the wire out of the switch goes to the fan clutch magnetic solenenoid, which is permanently earthed - no relays or anything like that, as there's no need if an auxilary fan is not fitted. The third wire on the switch is for the temperature gauge.

In anycase, hope this helps someone else!

Mark:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom