w201 2.0i Idle speed too fast

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blue190

Car
Birthday present - 94L 190e 2.0 in Black, 88F Volvo 740 auto estate (only for towing!!)
Just wondering if anyone can give any advice with this problem - when first started it idles around 750 after sounding like it only just wanted to fire and run, once up and running it hovers around 12-1300 when at operating temperature. I'm guessing this is far too fast an idle and it does make parking quite entertaining, i just fear for the longevity of my clutch. Thank you for reading and any help you may be able to offer.

I take it you have a manual? I would say I could help but my girlfriends W201 Auto seems to have the same issue of high rpm during neutral but drops to about 600rpm when in drive.

Just wondering if anyone can give any advice with this problem - when first started it idles around 750 after sounding like it only just wanted to fire and run, once up and running it hovers around 12-1300 when at operating temperature. I'm guessing this is far too fast an idle and it does make parking quite entertaining, i just fear for the longevity of my clutch. Thank you for reading and any help you may be able to offer.

Try to check:

- IAC : Idle air control valve, a black cilinder that sits close to the fuel distributor, on the rear end of the engine. It can be stuck, not acting as its supposed to. This is easily cleaned with carb. cleaner.

- coolant temp valve : This valve will let your engine's ECU know the engine's current temperature. If its fooling the ECU by showin a cold engine when its in fact an already warm engine, it can result in high idle. Replace if you can.

Also, check for the basic vaccum leaks. As years go by, all the rubber fittings and plastic pipes do tend to get brittle...

Let us know what you find...

Good advice from our friend in Portugal. Idle should be around 800rpm when warm but vary slightly with car in gear or with air con on etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom