W202 1998 illumination NOT WORKING for Cluster; Central Dash.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kameel

Car
W202 1998 C180
Good day
My W202 1998 instrument cluster illumination is not working including:
the illumination on the window switches; Gears; and central dash are also not working.

They all went out at the same time.

All bulbs and fuses are okay.

Could the fault be on the Dimmer switch (which has adjustments 3-2-1) or the Main headlight switch?
I doubt its the lighting control relay/module as everything else is working fine

Here is a photo of the Reverse side of my dimmer switch (located next to the Main headlight switch) W202 1998 C180 AUTO

Could the fault be with the Purple and pink tube/wire that connects to the Dimmer switch?
20191210_161748-min.jpg

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Those are pneumatic vacuum lines to the headlights' level adjustment, I think.
yes i realised my photo is a mistake, those are vacuum lines,
but regarding my problem with the Illumination, do you have any advice?

That doesn’t sound like the dimmer switch. It sounds like the headlamp range adjustment.
pretty sure the dimmer switch on those is also the trip reset on the instrument cluster.
The contacts on these can get a bit dirty - try twiddling it clock/anti clockwise a few times.

That doesn’t sound like the dimmer switch. It sounds like the headlamp range adjustment.
pretty sure the dimmer switch on those is also the trip reset on the instrument cluster.
The contacts on these can get a bit dirty - try twiddling it clock/anti clockwise a few times.

yesterday i took the cluster off the car and there isn`t any Potentiometer/rheostat behind +/- adjustment, put the cluster back,

is it possible that one of the relay`s in the fuse box is faulty? (illumination on cluster fuse is good)

The electrical equipment of the W202 got a comprehensive upgrade with the 97-98 facelift. As TED already said the instrument cluster lighting rheostat [ dimmer] was part of the odometer knob on the older design but was replaced with 2 small up and down buttons at the LH side of the cluster assembly as detailed below page 4 item 12 on diagram . unfortunately this may mean its integrated into the main cluster PCB- andd may not be easily replaced if faulty??
https://www.benzworld.org/attachments/1999-c280_owners_manual-pdf.153145/

Last edited:
The electrical equipment of the W202 got a comprehensive upgrade with the 97-98 facelift. As TED already said the instrument cluster lighting rheostat [ dimmer] was part of the odometer knob on the older design but was replaced with 2 small up and down buttons at the LH side of the cluster assembly as detailed below page 4 item 12 on diagram . unfortunately this may mean its integrated into the main cluster PCB- andd may not be easily replaced if faulty??
https://www.benzworld.org/attachments/1999-c280_owners_manual-pdf.153145/

Thank you for this valuable info!
it certainly looks like it is intergrated into the PCB,

So the conventional method of repair to the older mercedes cluster lighting rheostat cant be used here,
in this case, the only method is to replace the cluster or get it repaired.

If the illumination of cluster lights, central dash lights and gear-window switch lights is the only problem, can a faulty light control relay in the fuse box also be ruled out? or can that also be the problem?

Problem is with these canbus systems there are many interconnected control units -- for example there is an ambient light sensor in the overhead light cluster which might effect interior illumination--- but may not apply to the cluster illumination? In addition to the main fuse box there may also be an auxilliary/ passenger fuse box--containing fuse 42 @ end of dash/ under passenger footwell kick plate that supplies the cluster. If its a canbus system then getting a fault code readout may help?

Ah, yes. I forgot, my 1997 W210 had the buttons. @Kameel have you definitely pressed the ‘+’ button with ignition and lights on? iIt’s unusual for this to fail.
If so, just testing with a cheap replacement cluster might be a way forward.

I've got a spare cluster from a 1998 C200 but postage would be a bit steep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom