w202 220 cdi ticky tapping engine help

Discussion in 'Engine' started by Billybaggins, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Billybaggins

Billybaggins New Member

Car:
    W202
    Hi all, I have a year 2000 c220cdi with 105k miles. Starts within a second or two hot or cold, drives fine, though under load i have a ticking/tapping noise form the engine. Cruising with foot just lightly on the throttle it is quiet, bit of turbo whistle just, but foot down anywhere from 1/4 to wot it ticks, higher the revs the faster the tick. Anyone any ideas for this? Top of injectors aren't black, and no visible sign of a hole in the exhaust.

Thanks, Bill

2. panason1c

panason1c Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    ML270cdi, VW Polo 1.9 tdi, BMW K1200rs
    Might be an injector seal failed......(or not)

With the engine hot and ticking over, hold the palm of your hand over the top of each injector in turn, if any are 'chuffing' you will feel it blowing against your palm which means the injector seal(s) has failed.

The early stage of injector seal failure is more prominent once the engine is hot.

3. OP
    OP
    Billybaggins

Billybaggins New Member

Car:
    W202
    Thanks ill give that a go, i have leak detector fluid so ill try that. I just visually inspected last night and didn't see black deposits etc so ill try this.

4. chubbs111

chubbs111 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    clk270cdi
    probably a cracked manifold

5. GSI-jim

GSI-jim Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    w211 E320 cdi
    Ive got that with my e320cdi, can only hear it with windows open. Mercedes tech told me alot of them do it, even brand new engines hes fitted do it. Dont know if its the same as yours