w202 220 cdi ticky tapping engine help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Billybaggins

Car
W212 E350 Bluetec
Hi all, I have a year 2000 c220cdi with 105k miles. Starts within a second or two hot or cold, drives fine, though under load i have a ticking/tapping noise form the engine. Cruising with foot just lightly on the throttle it is quiet, bit of turbo whistle just, but foot down anywhere from 1/4 to wot it ticks, higher the revs the faster the tick. Anyone any ideas for this? Top of injectors aren't black, and no visible sign of a hole in the exhaust.

Thanks, Bill

Might be an injector seal failed......(or not)

With the engine hot and ticking over, hold the palm of your hand over the top of each injector in turn, if any are 'chuffing' you will feel it blowing against your palm which means the injector seal(s) has failed.

The early stage of injector seal failure is more prominent once the engine is hot.

Might be an injector seal failed......(or not)

With the engine hot and ticking over, hold the palm of your hand over the top of each injector in turn, if any are 'chuffing' you will feel it blowing against your palm which means the injector seal(s) has failed.

The early stage of injector seal failure is more prominent once the engine is hot.

Thanks ill give that a go, i have leak detector fluid so ill try that. I just visually inspected last night and didn't see black deposits etc so ill try this.

Ive got that with my e320cdi, can only hear it with windows open. Mercedes tech told me alot of them do it, even brand new engines hes fitted do it. Dont know if its the same as yours

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom